Humane Society to stop shipping of Baby Chicks (Look out Hatcheries)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Oh I sooo agree. Um, economy and Iraq war anyone?
idunno.gif

I dont think he will pass it though just because it would hurt our jobs at the hatcheries and most would go out of business...He has BIGGER things to worry about!

I also doubt that anything will come of it. It's not a bill, just a list of recommendations from the Humane Society, and I'd imagine every organization in the country has handed the new president their list of suggestions too. However, I'm one of those "look on the bright side" types and to be honest with you, if shipping chicks ever did become illegal I see that as a huge opportunity for the hatchery industry because all of a sudden there would be a need for small hatcheries all over the country, since people would need to be a driveable distance to a hatchery. So it could be tough on the few mega-hatcheries out there that depend on business from across the country, but it would be an awesome opportunity for small existing and new hatcheries, who would no longer need to compete with the big guys. Heck, if that happened we could all open up our own specialty hatcheries! (and then imagine the chickenstock swaps we could have
wink.png
)

i agree that this ban would not fly.

the monies alone will speak for this.

shoot, look at tobacco growers. we know tobacco is bad for us, but it generates TONS of money, so it wont be banned.

What is stopping anyone from opening their own specialty hatchery now?

Believing that there are bigger issues to deal with- so this will not gain any momentum is the wrong philosophy IMO. The animal rights organizations have millions of dollars and supporters to help back thier cause.

When I hear people complain about the costs of chicks going up- do they realize that the hatcheries are doing more than just selling you chicks? They are also protecting EVERY bird owner- by paying for and fighting legislation to help us keep the birds and animals we love!

Anyone that would like to help preserve the right to own birds- should consider donating to the Bird Shippers of America club. While membership is $50, you do not have to become a member- donating even a small amout- (for instance- the cost of going out to dinner) will help.

IMO- the belief of "well I don't have birds shipped" is not a reason to justify not supporting. When "our rights" as birds owners start to be limited, it will then be easier for the next one and each following one to be taken away.

http://www.birdshippers.com/

I am not a member of Bird Shippers- but I offer my support and hope you will consider it also.

Randy

Last edited:
Gypsy, you have got to kidding me. I agree with the human treatment, ie, quick respectful shipment and response from us to pick up within 5 hours at the post Office.
How much quicker is it to pick up a bird, with a nice sharp ax and take care of the "murder" quickly with one chop. Done.
The way they want to kill the bird, its going to cost billions to process a barn full of hens/meat birds, then the gases (did Hitler reincarnate?) are going to be in our food, and God only knows what that can do to those on medications, pregnant or our children!
somad.gif
my blood pressure just went up.

I'll be watching this one to see if anything comes of it and will certainly write to my representatives (which I do frequently regarding other causes I'm passionate about) if it's moved into committee.

Idiots need to stop completely banning things and actually try to improve on them.
roll.png
So often the solution to something disliked is to just get rid of it. That worked so well for something like horse slaughter. We're still dealing with that mess. If they don't like how chicks are shipped they should add more laws to shipping. Only allow shipping certain ways, improve packaging, and, while it would upset many people, do not allow shipping in certain temps or to northern states during certain months. They could even require heat packs for small sized shipments in certain temps. If they just restricted shipping and improved on it the number of dead chicks could be drastically reduced without a complete banning that damages the industry.

Quote:
sometimes they have to open them for a season,the state park here opens for deer season maybe once every 10 years or so,the deer get so over populated they get sick and weak if they dont..the deer know they are safe in the park so stay in the park,even many outside deer come into the park when its deer season,we ride horse out there at that time and many times see several hundred deer in a day

JUST HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT THE GOVERNMENT TO TELL YOU ABOUT WHAT YOU CAN AND CANNOT HAVE IN YOUR HOME OR ON YOUR FARM.. THAT IS WHAT IS SUPPOSED TO MAKE US DIFFERENT FROM THE REST OF THE WORLD.. THIS ISSUE IS NOT HUMANE TREATMENT OF CHICKS BEING SHIPPED ... IT'S WHAT IN YOUR HOME OR FARM WILL BE THE NEXT THING UNDER DIRECT GOVERNMENT CONTROL.. THAT YOU AS AN AMERICAN INDIVIDUAL WILL NOT HAVE A CHOICE TO MAKE BECAUSE IT WILL BE MADE FOR YOU.. If this issue truly concerns you take the individual responsibility to right a letter or contact your local rep.. or the animal rights groups will have it so even your favorite pet chicken that you dote on will have so many rights that you will have no right to own it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom