Humane way to put a chick down?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Matrix Escapee, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Matrix Escapee

Matrix Escapee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    I know this is probably gonna upset some folks here, but what is the humane way to put a chick down? I'm sure some will say "never give up" in trying to revive/nurse a chick back to health, but sometimes when a chick is barely breathing/not opening its eyes/has curled toes/is unresponsive, I feel they should be put out of their misery.
    How do you do it that is respectful and humane?

In the meantime, we are gonna try to keep improving our feed and environment, b/c prevention is obviously the best medicine. But, to think that a bird will not need to be put down is unrealistic.

Thanks, Matrix.

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Sorry about your little guy. Sounds like she's out of it enough to not be suffering all that much. Probably a little patience and nature will take its course. If it's bothering you too much, try a search on here. There are tons of posts on the subject with the consensus being scissors or a quick jerk to the neck. [​IMG]

3. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    I have heard of using ether but I have also heard that it was quicker and less suffering to just cut its head of. These things happen and sometimes it is best to just end the suffering instead of prolonging it. [​IMG]

4. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Sorry to hear...I put mine in a paper bag and place it in the freezer...

5. Silverduck

Silverduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Walker County, Alabama
    I hate to have to put one down, but sometimes it is necessary. I put mine in a baggie and zip it up, put it in the outside garbage can. I only do this if there is no hope. I had one in my last hatch that hatched with the yolk not fully absorbed, it started to bleed, had to cull.

6. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Freezer? Ugh. Not how I'd want to die. I place them on the cutting board, and one chop with the butcher knife and it's done.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Good pair of shears, cut its head off.

8. Matrix Escapee

Matrix Escapee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Thanks guys. I had lots of ideas, just wanted to see what everyone else did.

9. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    I searched the same thing on here a while back, heard of ether, vinegar and baking soda, etc.....but those things take a lot of time and effort to put together. Better to do it quick, put a suffering chick out of its misery. Even sick ones will wiggle, so I prefer to dislocate the neck. Quick pull and a twist and they die instantly, no mess.

10. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I agree with you, sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

I usually severe the neck with a large knife. Death is instant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by