Humane way to put a chick down?

I had to put a chick down earlier this year (severe crossed beak). I did the kitchen shears method. It was not an easy thing to do. If I have to put another one down I am going to try the ether method. They don't suffocate, they just wind up getting too much anesthetic and "go to sleep".

If you know how to do a cervical dislocation, it's over and done in a second, and we've never had one react.

I can do it easy (physically, not mentally) on baby chicks, but on adult birds, no, they are too big.

I once had to put a parakeet down, rat had gotten a hold of it and done severe damage. I just held the little guy really tight in my hands until he was no longer breathing. It didn't take much and it was over quickly. I wouldn't want to freeze something, I'm afraid ether would burn too long in the lungs, chopping the head off...ummm, not too bad, but could be messy. Drowning doesn't take long, it is quick and pretty much painless, just some panic, but that is what I do with skunks and mice.

I had a pet mouse for over 2 and half years that was a very good little mousy, when she got real bad one day I couldn't do any of the above to her. I felt so bad, I kept her warm and took her to the vet clinic where the vet let me put her under heavy sedation until she quit breathing. That poor vet, you shoulda' seen the look he gave me when I asked if he could put my mouse down. Poor guy, I know him because I take care of his horse and we have gone on group rides together. So when I showed up on a Sunday with this little mouse and he was working with some emergencies, he just turned on the gas and had me hold the funnel over my mouse. I took my little mousy home and buried her.

oh yeah, the rat was given to some one with a hungry snake. I just could stand to look at it anymore in the house and it was not a very friendly rat. That was my one and only time trying to own a rat as a pet.

Ugh... been reading thru trying to find a way to put down 2chicks with really bad feet and legs...
One chicks can't stand up but scoots around on its legs.. constantly peeping and all the other chicks run over and peck the poor thing...

I honestly was hoping it would die on its own cuz I feel so bad...

I guess hubby is going to have to do it when he comes home

Usually I buy eggs and hatch them because my hens were too young... but since they are laying I thought I could hatch their eggs..

I'm thinking the eggs weren't quality enough because the only 2 ( from my hens) that hatched were super small and have messed up legs...

My hens are all healthy so idk what the prob was except the eggs are just not ready to try to hatch.
Or maybe a problem with incubation... the other chicks ( from someone else's eggs) are all fine.

I'm wondering if their legs were going to be messed up regardless or if it was because I had to help them hatch cuz they were shrink wrapped in the shell...??

I just can't decapitate.. even though I feel that's probably the quickest way..
Thanks for the link... going to read it now .

I've thought about this a lot- when this happens to me I just give it to my husband and he takes the head off. but what if he wasnt' home? There is a local guy with snakes who has a 'gas chamber' he built for chicks. I've never seen it, just talked to him about it. I think he uses a tiny rubber maid box and a seltzer bottle, with a Co2 charge.

This is my least favorite part about owning chickens.

I had to do one today - garden snippers. It is the most difficult way for me since it is up close and personal but I'm not going to allow the bird to suffer by using a method that may not work as quickly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom