Humane way to stop mice from invading quail cage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a country house that had been a hoarder home. Got a good deal on it for that reason. It was LOADED with rats and mice. I called an exterminator and asked him what he would use, since I have dogs. He said what they do is set snap traps. They're the most humane way to take care of the problem. I bought snap traps and did it myself. I also got some feral cats with attitude. Rodents are destructive and filthy.

We've caught tons of feral cats like this, although I don't think catch, neuter and release is an environmentally sustainable option, especially for wildlife. We watch the trails through our yard the cats use and then set up the traps there. The only downside is that we sometimes catch opossums and raccoons. I don't think you could catch a mouse or rat in one of these those since they can squeeze out.

Yeah, the one OP is getting is made for mice and rats, not cats. Its a tiny one. I don't think TNR is evironmentally sustainable either, I think we should catch the cats, rehome what can be rehomed, and put down the rest... cats are pests, too.

. Mice and rats are disease carry worthless creatures. Kill them and get rid of them. I am telling you there is not much if anything else in the world that needs to be eradicated more (which is not possible). And, even though it is not possible we certainly need to try. These things will take over the world if left unchecked.
I definitely wouldn't catch and release rodents anywhere near my house and generally find it easier to quick catch and kill them in a snap trap since relocation will probably lead to their death from stress/disorientation anyway.

But arguing that a perfectly normal animal that is part of a healthy ecosystem should be eliminated from the face of the earth is just shortsighted. Mice are critical species in almost every ecosystem on the planet. They will not "take over the world if left unchecked" since they haven't in the millions of years they've shared the earth with other animals.

Rodents do carry disease and shouldn't live in people's homes, but I like living in a varied, healthy ecosystem with every sort of creature.

I definitely wouldn't catch and release rodents anywhere near my house and generally find it easier to quick catch and kill them in a snap trap since relocation will probably lead to their death from stress/disorientation anyway.

But arguing that a perfectly normal animal that is part of a healthy ecosystem should be eliminated from the face of the earth is just shortsighted. Mice are critical species in almost every ecosystem on the planet. They will not "take over the world if left unchecked" since they haven't in the millions of years they've shared the earth with other animals.

Rodents do carry disease and shouldn't live in people's homes, but I like living in a varied, healthy ecosystem with every so

Rodents do carry disease and shouldn't live in people's homes, but I like living in a varied, healthy ecosystem with every sort of creature.
I respect your opinion. Personally, I believe are ecosystem would be just find without the nasty things. And, they can very easily get out of control. They do not live long, but multiply so quickly. And, the diseases they carry could wipe out some things really fast. I think they have in places to an extent in history. So, I still stand by if there was nothing to keep them in check they would take over. These millions of years there have always been something to keep them in check from one degree or another. In my most humble opinion I feel we need to do our part to keep them in check as well. I know I will! :lol:

What you need to understand is that most people on a chicken forum have no idea what it’s like to live in a city building. When you said basement, this guy was assuming you meant the basement of your home, it’s pretty rude to suggest they’re doing drugs because you haven’t been clear about the setup of your housing.

people are sugar coating this for you, but rodents are bad for your health. I’m really sick of my favorite stores and restaurants going out of business, my kids can’t socialize, people around me are literally going crazy from being in their homes alone, and don’t get me started on vaccines being pushed on us with worse side effects than the illness, but when a real threat like hoardes of disease carrying rodents is brought up, people act like it’s fine to live with vermin. Those mice are probably back up in your apartment before you even get back there. Plus, what about the super or landlord? Does he have kids? Who are you exposing to more mice? Does this person even own the building? Mice climb thru the vents, they live in the walls, it doesn’t take long to get so out of hand that they’re living in your box spring and pulling chunks of your mattress out to make nests. If you want to let them live, that’s your choice, but moving them to a different floor of your building is worthless, inconsiderate, and immoral. At best, using humane traps, take them to the park or dump them down the sewer, the rats will probably kill them for you.

If this basement landlord owns your building, have you spoken with them? Have you asked them what they’re doing about the vermin? When the government tells people they don’t need to pay rent because of covid, what do you think the landlords are using to pay for services? If they call someone to get rid of them, what do you think will happen to the mice? Your snap traps are much more humane than the poison the exterminators spray. They’ll probably put boxes with entry holes and poison inside, all around the outside of your building so those mice will carry poison to other animals that eat them and get sick. Exterminators don’t choose the most humane method, they choose the cheapest, and they don’t care about the rest of the neighborhood.

when I lived in Brooklyn, they tore down the building behind mine, all the mice ran from there to our building. Within a month we were over run. I killed 26 with snap traps in 1 weekend, and I still saw them everywhere. We had a trifold gym mat like schools have, which we would set up in the living room for the kids to play on, and one day when I was picking it up, it had 2 squashed mice under it, they must have run when I was setting it up, and got squashed when I plopped it down. They were everywhere. It’s bad for yourself, your pets, your neighbors. I lost a dog to poison because the building next to mine dumped poison all over the ground and didn’t put up signs. My dog stood on it and peed, someone ran up and told me they saw someone dump poison. In a couple hours my dog was dead. What if that was a kid? I’m sure the people who lived in that building didn’t think the landlord would reach the end of his rope and just dump poison everywhere, but that’s what happened.

By refusing to humanely euthanize your vermin, you are leaving the choice up to someone else who may choose a more inhumane option.
I could not have said it better myself. If the problem isn't dealt with, then someone else will deal with it in a less pleasant way. If the mice are left in the basement, they'll still find their way into all other areas of the building. If they're released into the wild, then they'll get picked off by hawks, owls, and other predators -- not a very humane way to go.

What you need to understand is that most people on a chicken forum have no idea what it’s like to live in a city building. When you said basement, this guy was assuming you meant the basement of your home, it’s pretty rude to suggest they’re doing drugs because you haven’t been clear about the setup of your housing.

people are sugar coating this for you, but rodents are bad for your health. I’m really sick of my favorite stores and restaurants going out of business, my kids can’t socialize, people around me are literally going crazy from being in their homes alone, and don’t get me started on vaccines being pushed on us with worse side effects than the illness, but when a real threat like hoardes of disease carrying rodents is brought up, people act like it’s fine to live with vermin. Those mice are probably back up in your apartment before you even get back there. Plus, what about the super or landlord? Does he have kids? Who are you exposing to more mice? Does this person even own the building? Mice climb thru the vents, they live in the walls, it doesn’t take long to get so out of hand that they’re living in your box spring and pulling chunks of your mattress out to make nests. If you want to let them live, that’s your choice, but moving them to a different floor of your building is worthless, inconsiderate, and immoral. At best, using humane traps, take them to the park or dump them down the sewer, the rats will probably kill them for you.

If this basement landlord owns your building, have you spoken with them? Have you asked them what they’re doing about the vermin? When the government tells people they don’t need to pay rent because of covid, what do you think the landlords are using to pay for services? If they call someone to get rid of them, what do you think will happen to the mice? Your snap traps are much more humane than the poison the exterminators spray. They’ll probably put boxes with entry holes and poison inside, all around the outside of your building so those mice will carry poison to other animals that eat them and get sick. Exterminators don’t choose the most humane method, they choose the cheapest, and they don’t care about the rest of the neighborhood.

when I lived in Brooklyn, they tore down the building behind mine, all the mice ran from there to our building. Within a month we were over run. I killed 26 with snap traps in 1 weekend, and I still saw them everywhere. We had a trifold gym mat like schools have, which we would set up in the living room for the kids to play on, and one day when I was picking it up, it had 2 squashed mice under it, they must have run when I was setting it up, and got squashed when I plopped it down. They were everywhere. It’s bad for yourself, your pets, your neighbors. I lost a dog to poison because the building next to mine dumped poison all over the ground and didn’t put up signs. My dog stood on it and peed, someone ran up and told me they saw someone dump poison. In a couple hours my dog was dead. What if that was a kid? I’m sure the people who lived in that building didn’t think the landlord would reach the end of his rope and just dump poison everywhere, but that’s what happened.

By refusing to humanely euthanize your vermin, you are leaving the choice up to someone else who may choose a more inhumane option.

Just so u know, my heart does go out to u for what u went through. Sounds horrible. My situation is a little different though. The reason why I'm even having to deal with the mice issue is because we're gutting out my apartment and re-constructing. Obviously, this is causing the mice to migrate from the adjoining apts. Never had a rodent problem before and hopefully after we're done building problem should be eradicated. But, for the time being, I need to find a (humane) way to deal with this problem. Yes, I will let the lose in the basement (where only the {nasty} super lives) and the reason for that is that in NYC temps are freezing outside and I won't subject the vermin as undesirable as they may be to that. Ideally, I would've let them loose at the park.
Bottom line is this, I am not going to torture the damn, stinkin' mouse, and that's that! This world would be a much better place if humans started acting in a more humane way. I'm not saying let's live with the damn vermin and let them take over the world. Just saying let's find different and kinder ways of getting rid of them. It's called compassion ppl. 😁 I know that's gonna be a tough sell, but just think about it.

Bottom line is this, I am not going to torture the damn, stinkin' mouse, and that's that! This world would be a much better place if humans started acting in a more humane way. I'm not saying let's live with the damn vermin and let them take over the world. Just saying let's find different and kinder ways of getting rid of them. It's called compassion ppl. 😁 I know that's gonna be a tough sell, but just think about it.
@bill3607 I can see I'm starting to sway ur mind there, huh? Hehe. Come join us at the "compassionate" club. 😉

A snap trap kills them pretty much instantly... poison is a slow and unpleasant death whether it’s the kind that makes them bleed out or the kind that dehydrates them, and glue traps are even worse. Live trap and release probably is even more stressing for a mouse, even though he gets to live I would say for a little animal like that it’s more “torture” to be stuck in a plastic box and carried around by a human. And like others have said either they come back and you just trap and release them again or someone else kills them with something worse. I would imagine everyone would want to live in a world where no animals have to die, but that just isn’t possible. It’s not like if you don’t kill them with a snap trap they’re going to live long, healthy lives and die of old age in a cozy bed... they’ll find someone else’s poison or trap or get eaten by a cat. The mice have to go, and I would choose the option that ends their life in an instant. Clearly I can’t change your mind on this, but I hope you can understand why so many people say that snap traps are the kindest way to go since they don’t really suffer so much as just go lights out.

Whatever method you choose, if you no longer have mice, search everywhere for possible entry routes and block them if you can, clean up any food or pet food spills, seal your stored products and maybe even stick a towel under the gaps under doors. Prevention is the best way to deal with this problem although it’s already late for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom