Humbling a rooster

:pop:lau

I have one too. Middle roo out of 3. He's been pretty cocky lately. I have been caging him inside the coop at night and letting him out during the day. He has gotten me twice and still wants to come after me, but backs off when I move toward him. Today I held him for a long time and we had "the talk" again. Been putting off the stew pot. I'm sure he isn't about to change his ways though.

I'm having a similar issue. My roo doesn't like it when people move quickly in the yard. I was in a hurry and was hustling to get things done and he came at me. I turned around as he approached me from the back and he came at me anyway. I ran at him and he was going to fight at first, but wisely changed his mind. The next day he chased my grandson and my son went after the roo. My son is 6'1" and all legs. My husband said that roo looked worried!
I don't want him to go to freezer camp, but it just might happen. I think I have a little blue Australorp cockerel in the brooder and his daddy is a nice guy.

I had another rooster go Rogue on me.
He thought he was superfly or something, and tried to show me who was boss.
It took about ten minutes of chasing before I finally caught him.

I grabbed him by his feet, held him upside down, and paraded his butt around the coop for all his ladies to see.
I held him upside down while I collected the eggs, and fed the others.
Then I paraded him around a bit more.

You just wouldn't believe how he now trips all over himself just to get out of my way!
What happened to the last one?

Joe you crack me up....now that I know to take your posts with grains of salt and humor intact.

Please do follow up on how this plays out.

I'm having a similar issue. My roo doesn't like it when people move quickly in the yard. I was in a hurry and was hustling to get things done and he came at me. I turned around as he approached me from the back and he came at me anyway. I ran at him and he was going to fight at first, but wisely changed his mind. The next day he chased my grandson and my son went after the roo. My son is 6'1" and all legs. My husband said that roo looked worried!
I don't want him to go to freezer camp, but it just might happen. I think I have a little blue Australorp cockerel in the brooder and his daddy is a nice guy.

I thought of your rooster when reading this thread.
So he still isn't straightened out?

I thought of your rooster when reading this thread.
So he still isn't straightened out?

Hard to tell. Sometimes it seems he will be fine, then he gets aggressive out of the blue. This was the most aggressive incident so far. No contact this time, but his attitude is different and you can see it in how he moves around when I'm out there. I pretty much ignore him unless he gets mean.
He's got a couple months to work on that bad attitude while I grow out these chicks.

Hard to tell. Sometimes it seems he will be fine, then he gets aggressive out of the blue. This was the most aggressive incident so far. No contact this time, but his attitude is different and you can see it in how he moves around when I'm out there. I pretty much ignore him unless he gets mean.
He's got a couple months to work on that bad attitude while I grow out these chicks.

How long has it been since he started all this? You've already been working on him for a couple months or more, right?
I keep seeing people saying they may be fine for a while but will go back to their bad behavior sooner then later. Sounds true with yours

How long has it been since he started all this? You've already been working on him for a couple months or more, right?
I keep seeing people saying they may be fine for a while but will go back to their bad behavior sooner then later. Sounds true with yours

It's been a few months and it's always either off or on with him. He's unpredictable but such a good boy for the girls. He's often with the single girl who is off foraging alone. We heard a noise in the direction of the coop and he went running to check on the girls in there. I'm reluctant to get rid of him for these reasons and hope he will chill out.

Back
Top Bottom