Humidity, air cell issues on day 17

Can you candle the two bantam eggs in a dark room and get clear pictures of the air cell?
Yes I can. Can you tell me if it’s safe to do that right now? I have theee normal sized eggs with external pips from 4pm yesterday which have not further developed, and 1/5 bantam eggs which externally popped around 8pm. If I open the incubator woll it shrink wrap any of them? Because several are already not making progress. Steady humidity of 65-70, and steady temp of 98.5-99

Did they hatch?
Two out of the three normal sized chicks hatched. Still waiting on one bantam and one regular sized egg. Both have pipped. But I’m afraid my silkies won’t make it. They haven’t moved at all. And it’s too difficult to hear if they are chirping. As I have multiple that are chirping right now. After I move the hatched eggs to the brooder, should I candle the remaining silkie eggs?

So in total, I had 5 chicks hatch today. I had five remaining eggs that are still in the incubator. One chick passed away in the shell as I could tell when I candled. I didn’t candle every egg. But I did candle 3. 2/3 had veining in the shell still. So I quickly put all back in to the incubator. I don’t have much hope for them as the bantam that did hatch today was extremely wet. When he hatched, I could see water coming from its beak, thank goodness another chick bumped in to him, and the egg was moved. When the egg moved, I could see a water mark on the paper towels under him that was about 1.5”x3”. Now that he is hatched he seems to be doing okay. Sleeping and catching up on rest like he should be! I will update again if we get some more hatchers!
I plan on trying for silkies again in the coming week as I would love to add them to my flock. I was thinking about a dry hatch. I will be using my calibrated thermometer, and will be weighing my eggs when I candle them. I have honestly learned so much from my first run at incubating eggs. Any thoughts on a dry hatch vs wet hatch? Was hoping this would decrease the chances of “drowning” l. And thank you everyone for helping me with all of my many questions.

My quails started to hatch yesterday night. Only 2 hatched so far, opened the incubator to see why they weren’t fluffing up and they almost flew out!!!!!
Omgoodness! So I candles the eggs today and I open the incubator and shut it. I quickly noticed one had externally pipped. My humidity was at 40%. Did I just ruin the chances of this new little one hatching and being shrink wrapped?

Just keep an eye on it, I had to help a quail last night that was stuck zipped but couldn’t bust that thin layer of membrane because I let my humidity drop….but I could see the whole quail shrink wrapped. Added water with a tiny paintbrush and bam he burst out.

Just keep an eye on it, I had to help a quail last night that was stuck zipped but couldn’t bust that thin layer of membrane because I let my humidity drop….but I could see the whole quail shrink wrapped. Added water with a tiny paintbrush and bam he burst out.
He finally hatched. It was a long long night for him. He was for sure shrink wrapped. But he came out with splay leg. We braved his legs for a few days and he is perfect!!

Back
Top Bottom