Humidity drops every night

Kthompson12

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2024
I am hatching eggs in my classroom. When i leave in the afternoons and am there during the day adding water, it maintains the right humidity. Every morning I come in, humidity has dropped to the 20s or 30s. Is this okay for days 1-18? I plan to stay overnight during lockdown!

I am hatching eggs in my classroom. When i leave in the afternoons and am there during the day adding water, it maintains the right humidity. Every morning I come in, humidity has dropped to the 20s or 30s. Is this okay for days 1-18? I plan to stay overnight during lockdown!
What kind of incubator is it? I'm wondering if you could wet a paper towel with distilled water, then wring it out and curl it up in something like a Dixie cup and set that in there.

I'd do that in the morning before adding water so you can see what effect it has on the incubator. I would hope you could do that when in lockdown so you don't have to stay overnight.

Humidity is more an average, so when it was dipping down into the 20s and 30s, that's only for a few hours so wouldn't hurt, and in fact, some people who do the dry hatching keep their incubators at 20-30% humidity the first 18 days. Then they go to normal lockdown at 65-70%.

Best wishes to you and the kids for a successful hatch!!

Back
Top Bottom