Humidity during incubation

babs silkies

Chirping
Feb 2, 2020
Hardy Arkansas
Ive just had my first experience with hatching eggs. From the nine eggs in the incubator I managed 2 chicks. It was very difficult to get the humidity up and maintain it at the suggested level of 65-75%. I kept adding warm water to the point that it spilled through the little drain holes above the water channel, but still the humidity did not stay steady. I'm using Farm Innovators Pro Series Model 4250, from Tractor Supply. It probably didnt help that I opened the incubator during lock down to remove those chicks
Here are some stats. The incubator is in the basement with steady room temp of 62• and humidity of around 32%. We have propane heat so the house is a bit dry in winter.
Ive read a bit about 'dry incubation' but I really dont understand how that would work. Wouldn't the eggs dry out in the heat inside the incubator if the humidity wasnt high enough ?

You will hear preferences all across the board on what people have the most success with on their humidity levels but that's because there are so many factors that can change what works for you as well. Where you're located, what altitude you're at, what incubator you're using, where you keep the incubator, how porous the eggs are, the list goes on.

I don't dry incubate but I do keep my humidity a bit lower for the first 18 days because this is what I find works best for me, in my incubators. I start between 45-50% humidity for the first 18 days for chickens (usually 45% but I have found that I prefer 50% for some breeds, such as Marans). I monitor the air cell growth to determine if I should adjust the humidity. For lockdown I increase the humidity to about 65%.

What happened in your first hatch? That can help a lot to determine what may need to change for your next hatch, regardless of what works for us. :)

You will hear preferences all across the board on what people have the most success with on their humidity levels but that's because there are so many factors that can change what works for you as well. Where you're located, what altitude you're at, what incubator you're using, where you keep the incubator, how porous the eggs are, the list goes on.

I don't dry incubate but I do keep my humidity a bit lower for the first 18 days because this is what I find works best for me, in my incubators. I start between 45-50% humidity for the first 18 days for chickens (usually 45% but I have found that I prefer 50% for some breeds, such as Marans). I monitor the air cell growth to determine if I should adjust the humidity. For lockdown I increase the humidity to about 65%.

What happened in your first hatch? That can help a lot to determine what may need to change for your next hatch, regardless of what works for us. :)
Two chicks hatched, the others developed but didn’t hatch. After 3 days I took them out and had a look inside. So I know that they did get close to hatching. It was very sad and I’d like to do better next time. I will try a sponge dampened with warm water

Two chicks hatched, the others developed but didn’t hatch. After 3 days I took them out and had a look inside. So I know that they did get close to hatching. It was very sad and I’d like to do better next time. I will try a sponge dampened with warm water

I'm sorry it was a difficult hatch experience for you. :hugs
Hopefully it was simply the humidity so it can be an easier adjustment for you next time. When I'm using an incubator that requires a sponge I use a straw on the end of a condiment bottle to add water to the sponge through the vent hole so I don't have to open the incubator and I don't have to worry about chicks drowning in a container. lol, It sounds like a silly contraption but it works well.

I might add that I have about zero confidence in the accuracy of most hygrometers and only slightly more confidence in some thermometers till they are verified.
I've had hygrometers that stayed at a reading of 20% no matter what the actual humidity.
The absolute best way to determine proper weight loss (which is what one is striving for) is to weigh the eggs. That method is always more accurate than combination hygrometer and candling.
Weight loss can vary depending on the porosity of the egg shells and adhering to a humidity number doesn't take that into consideration.

Last edited:

I just discovered that if I turn down the temperature in the incubator, the humidity goes up. Useful!

I might add that I have about zero confidence in the accuracy of most hygrometers and only slightly more confidence in some thermometers till they are verified.
I've had hygrometers that stayed at a reading of 20% no matter what the actual humidity.
The absolute best way to determine proper weight loss (which is what one is striving for) is to weigh the eggs. That method is always more accurate than combination hygrometer and candling.
Weight loss can vary depending on the porosity of the egg shells and adhering to a humidity number doesn't take that into consideration.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom