Humidity during lockdown for duck eggs! Help!

Newduckmommy1221

Chirping
Sep 25, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone, this is my very first time incubating runner duck eggs and I’m on day 22 (today). I know on day 25 I have to remove the automatic egg turner, lower their temp to 98.5 and increase humidity higher, I just want to make sure I’m increasing it high enough... should I increase it to 65-70% or should I do higher? What are your recommendations for humidity during lockdown for a successful hatch? I have maintained humidity throughout the incubation period (day 1 till now) at 40-50%. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Your welcome!
Just a question again... when the duck eggs begin to pip and start to hatch I should increase the humidity to 80%? Or what are your recommendations. I know I should open 50% of ventilation when they start to pip or is that only when they hatch? What are the exact steps during lockdown and once a few have hatched? It’s my first time and I don’t want to mess it up!!!

Open all vents now!

65-70% humidity should be fine. It will naturally increase when some hatch because they are wet, so don't worry about it.

Also remember, ducks can easily take 2 days to hatch after they pip. 24-36 hours is pretty common, but upwards of 40+ hours is not out of the ordinary. They may even pip 2-3 spots before they actually start zipping.

Open all vents now!

65-70% humidity should be fine. It will naturally increase when some hatch because they are wet, so don't worry about it.

Also remember, ducks can easily take 2 days to hatch after they pip. 24-36 hours is pretty common, but upwards of 40+ hours is not out of the ordinary. They may even pip 2-3 spots before they actually start zipping.
You think I should open both vents now? I’m only on day 23 though. They’re still on the egg turner and temp is still 99.5 and humidity is between 40-50%.
I thought I was supposed to open one vent when they go on lockdown?

In your first post, you are doing everything correct. You should have humidity closer to 50% and one vent open now. At lockdown, both vents open and at about 65%.
Okay Thankyou, I’ve oprned up one vent just now. Humidity is at 51%... I will increase humidity during lock down and open up the other air vent then. Thanks for your help.

You are doing good! Don’t worry over humidity so much. The biggest mistake most make is worrying they won’t be able to get out. Lol I drowned half of my first set and now, I keep at 65 and allow it to go to 70 which it will as they hatch. Everytime it gets to 70, I quickly open up top a tiny bit and it will go down. Just a sliver of open line then down.

I give mine 24 hrs to pip, 48 to zip. 12 to break loose. If they have done everything then so tired and quit, I remove zipped part and find beak to make sure it is pointed up.

Watch for side pips and wrong end pips. You will need to decide to let them go it alone or help. Wrong end, no air so needs ER care just as soon as it starts internal pipping. Side pip needs to be candled to see if it internally pipped and if air sac is there.

I rather just do my chickens and geese lol. They will sit and do all that. By the time I am at day 28, I am so OCD about it lol, it feels like I am the one in labor!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom