Humidity ... how high is too high during hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kberndtson, Jun 8, 2010.

1. kberndtson

kberndtson Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    It's day 21 and I have seven eggs that are in my incubator. One died during pipping this morning and another two have hatched late this afternoon and tonight. Humidity is up to 76%. Should I be alarmed? How high is too high for the rest of the unhatched eggs?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Don't open the bator. They should be fine. Humidity always spikes up as they hatch.

3. kberndtson

kberndtson Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    I'm really nervous about the humidity. I have two chicks that have hatched and four more to go. One hatched about 8 hours ago, and the other about 2 hours ago. The first baby is still pretty wet and doesn't seem to be drying out, neither is the second one. Humidity has climbed to 78%. I have am empty still air incubator (these guys are currently in one with a fan). Should I move the hatched chicks to the other incubator? What effect will that high of humidity have on my remaining unhatched chicks?

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It's fine. As Mahonrii said, the humidity will always spike while they are hatching...has been doing so for hundreds of years!! Probably natures way of preventing shrink-wrapped chicks.

5. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

It is advised to keep chicks out of drafts so I can't see where putting them in something with a fan can be all good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by