Humidity in Hovabator HIGH OR LOW and at what %

so rebel are you saying even at web bulb 57% is too high? Ma called me today and she doesnt understand why someone like the people who made the hovabator or LG...would say to do a high humidity...or for that matter the people who wrote Chicken books...Storeys chicken books...

I keep telling her what I learned, the chick can drown...if the yolk doesnt absorb into the chick...if humidity is high, too moist which can slow it down, or stop it. has to been done slow...then at the end...you want a smooth hatch, shell sliding off easy and smooth...so you raise the humidity.

Temp can dry out the membrance if too high, thus causing the chick to stick. and its back to then why do the books say this?...
smile.png

I guess I need an easier way to explain it....

Last edited:
Yes you can hatch eggs using the high humidity way but its hit an miss. The people that write those books get to incubate thousands of eggs till they get it exactly right. But if you take there settings an try to use them in your environment an ventilation levels it may or may not work. The dry method may not be the best method an if you had thousands of eggs to tweak your method you could get better hatches at a higher humidity. But if your like me when I started an dont have a endless supply of eggs then the dry method will usually give you the best results.

Here read this about ventilation an see if that makes it clear as mud.
Incubator Ventilation.

Thanks so much for all replies and help on this...Im still getting the calls why AG....is saying do it this way...Im reading the comments and just forwarding them to Ma....

She does have her eggs set and keeping it on a low humidity level to day 18 so far, that I know of...

We incubate at 50% for the first 18 days and 71% for the last 3 days...never had a bad hatch until this last one when the power was out for 9 hours during lockdown and no one was home to turn on the generator.
hit.gif

I do open our bators to remove chicks and have not had a problem doing it-has not caused any to not hatch...got to be fast and mist at the same time.

she has the 1588 hovabator, would it make a difference in hovabators? I have two that were given to me complete...and I have yet to fire them up...so am curious if model would make a difference.

Quote:
No it wouldn't make a difference. I just wanted to read the instruction booklet....either mine or online. I've got three 1588s. I dug the instruction booklet out....NOWHERE does it say to have the humidity at 86%. I don't know what she's reading, but it isn't the 1588 instructions.

she told me this from the AG EXTENSTION that DH printed and gave her...and the Raising chickens poultry book, by Storey...and the rest of her chicken book....

lol.png
I know what your saying and I know what Ive studied and read...but Im just the daug. in law...and she is going by how she use to do it in the days....
wink.png
so she was wondering what the heck am I talking about.....is she added mayo. jar lids full with water, turned her LG on and left it alone with high humidity, full bator...and got good hatches.

Then I tell her oh no...must have low humidity 1-18days for absorbtion...what the heck are you talking about?...lol

Micro-climates affect hatching too much to just say one works and one doesn't.

If high humidity results in her not getting a hatch, then she'll learn.

If it works for her, she'll learn that.

It doesn't work here, indoors or out.

Instructions written by someone for their own equipment and micro-climate work for them.

She doesn't live with the author. His instructions may be dated, may have to do with living in a very dry environment for some reason (even wood heating and cooking stoves) some of this stuff was written a LONG time ago.

I'd suggest moderation, then tinker up and down.

But if the written word is God, there is nothing you can do about it.

Back
Top Bottom