Humidity in Nurture Right 360

Princess Clucks-a-lot

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2023
Vancleave, MS
I am using the Nurture Right 360 incubator in my classroom and have had a problem develop. Before when I hatched eggs I could go in my room at any time on the weekends to check on temp and humidity. I am at a different school and do not have access to my room on the weekends. I noticed that the humidity dropped to 34% when I was out for 1 day. When I am gone for the weekend (Fri-Sun for me) I am concerned that it will be too low. Any suggestions on how to keep the humidity up while I do not have access to the incubator? This will be an ongoing issue because I just set the incubator up Monday. I have hatched successfully with this incubator but this is a new issue.

Maybe a sponge if there's room but that's not a terrible humidity.
Or maybe Take it home with you?
Would unplugging the incubator every week and letting the temp fall until I get home be an issue? It would be about 45 minutes of toting it from my room packing up and going home. It is 80 here now so they wouldn't get too chilled. I was also worried about the eggs rolling around in the incubator too.

Would unplugging the incubator every week and letting the temp fall until I get home be an issue? It would be about 45 minutes of toting it from my room packing up and going home. It is 80 here now so they wouldn't get too chilled. I was also worried about the eggs rolling around in the incubator too.
You might be able to find a humidity kit, but I honestly wouldn't worry to much, 35% is about as long as you want to go but it's acceptable. Any other staff at your school on the weekends that can check on it?

I am using the Nurture Right 360 incubator in my classroom and have had a problem develop. Before when I hatched eggs I could go in my room at any time on the weekends to check on temp and humidity. I am at a different school and do not have access to my room on the weekends. I noticed that the humidity dropped to 34% when I was out for 1 day. When I am gone for the weekend (Fri-Sun for me) I am concerned that it will be too low. Any suggestions on how to keep the humidity up while I do not have access to the incubator? This will be an ongoing issue because I just set the incubator up Monday. I have hatched successfully with this incubator but this is a new issue.
You could get a Grovee wifi hygrometer to be able to monitor the levels while your away. I would recommend doing a dry incubation and add water for lockdown. It has worked for us well and I feel too many worry about splitting hairs with humidity. The humidity, over the course of the incubation, is what determines how large the air sac is. It also helps the egg soften before hatching.

You might be able to find a humidity kit, but I honestly wouldn't worry to much, 35% is about as long as you want to go but it's acceptable. Any other staff at your school on the weekends that can check on it?
I rolled a paper towel and ran it from a cup of water to the incubator water basin that is used to keep the humidity up. I guess I will see if this works tomorrow! I asked if anyone would be going to the school on the weekend but no one was going.

Well, it is day 17 and I have struggled with what to do about the humidity for a few days. I go t it down and have let it stay lower than 50 after having such a hard time getting it down after it spiked.
Today I noticed that two of the eggs are moving so I took out the egg turner. Should I go ahead and start raising the humidity or wait until tomorrow- which is day 18? Not sure if the movement indicates and early hatch for some or not.

Well, it is day 17 and I have struggled with what to do about the humidity for a few days. I go t it down and have let it stay lower than 50 after having such a hard time getting it down after it spiked.
Today I noticed that two of the eggs are moving so I took out the egg turner. Should I go ahead and start raising the humidity or wait until tomorrow- which is day 18? Not sure if the movement indicates and early hatch for some or not.
The high humidity for lockdown helps soften the shell for hatching. I typically max out the water reservoir on lockdown.

the humidity needs to be somewhat constant during incubation , without the moisture for the egg to absorb you run a risk of the membrane collapsing n the chick

you can go for short periods like a temp power outage , but i wouldnt go more than a couple hours , look at it like this , the hen has to leave the nest periodically to eat and drink and nature doesnt penalize her for it , but all weekend is asking for disaster

You should be fine to up humidity on day 18. Sounds like they are getting into position. GL!!!!

Back
Top Bottom