humidity..... just put eggs in yesterday

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by capstone, May 24, 2012.

1. capstone

capstone In the Brooder

May 12, 2012
    I put the eggs in temp holding steady at 100 degrees filled small trough like the instructions said. Humidity is holding at 80% is this too high? if so how do I get it down? There is a hole on top of the bator but it is plugged with a tissue.

thank you again

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  2. moetrout

moetrout Songster

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    80% humidity is too high for the first 18 days, that is IF it really is 80%. I doubt this. Most of those electronic hygrometers are very in-accurate. If you do some searching in this forum you can find instructions on how to check the accuracy of your hygrometer.

3. capstone

capstone In the Brooder

May 12, 2012
    thank you i will look around. this is a house indoor digital thermometer and humidiguide in one.

4. capstone

capstone In the Brooder

May 12, 2012
    okay so IF this is truly the humidity level how do I bring it down?
    I am calibrating the digital humidiguide right now.

I dont want to kill them off or is it already too late?

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Crowing

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    If it is to high you need to get it back to what its sapose to be but it shoudnt kill the eggs just being like that for a day or whatever. What kind of incubator do you have ?

6. capstone

capstone In the Brooder

May 12, 2012
    I have a styraphome incubator... umm it is called a hova-bator.

I did find the thread on humidity and went and sucked all the water out or as much as I could get with a turkey baster.

I am calibrating my humidiguide to see where it stands on humidity accuracy.

It does have a red plug in the top.. which is in.. should I take it out?

Sorry for all the questions

7. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Songster

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    I run my styrofoam bator completely dry for the 1st 18 days. My humidity is still reading 40-50%. I found that when I took my red caps out humidity went even higher, but mine is in a damp basement.

8. capstone

capstone In the Brooder

May 12, 2012
    I am hoping since I pulled the water out the humidity will drop as well. I have ours in the dining room no drafts and no direct sunlight. we dont even turn a light on unless we want to read the temp.

9. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Songster

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    What I also found with mine was if it got too humid was if I opened the top of the bator for a few seconds every 10-15 minutes for an hour or so it would drop it a lot faster.

10. capstone

capstone In the Brooder

May 12, 2012
    well my goodness.... I did exactly like the instructions said.. 1/4 cup water1/2 cup salt in coffe mug mixed. set in ziplock with humidiguide. I still have a half hour to go to reach the 8 hour minimum and it is sitting at 89% humidity and it states it should read 74 or 75%... so mine is off by 14% ugghhh if that is the case then the eggs were at 74% humidity which is still too high.

wow I did not in my wildest dreams thing their would be this much "thinking" involved with incubating some eggs
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: