Humidity Level Poll

During incubation Day Zero through Day Seventeen, where do you keep your humidity level?

• Below 35%

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Between 35% and 40%

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Between 40% and 45%

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Between 45% and 50%

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Between 50% and 55%

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Above 55%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I’m similar to @TheBajan - currently doing my first hatch of chicken eggs from my own flock. Set 37, and 9 were clear at Day 7. I’m using a Little Giant Still-Air incubator. I did weigh the eggs before setting and at Day 7. Some seemed to lose more weight in grams than others, but my scale does not have 0.0 (tenths) -it is just whole numbers. I did not mark air cells yet. Might do so on Day 10 (tomorrow).

I have been trying to keep humidity under 50%. Aiming for 40-50% but my independent hygrometer reads different than the incubator one, but has a wider range of ability (incubator one does not go below 40% according to the customer service at the company). I have let the incubator go dry and drop humidity before I add more water at the next turning of the day. Usually it pops above 50% for awhile before settling to upper 40’s.

My point is. What ever works for you is the right answer.

My own opinion is most people start off sticking to the Google answer and after a few goes realise it's a good start, it's not right for them.

My personal preference for:
Chickens 45% first 18 days 70% lockdown.
Quail 35% first 15 days 70% locked. I have a auto humidity pump, but if I didn't I would be happy with 40-45% and 30-35%.
IMO lower humidity up until lockdown gives the best balance between the chick not getting too big and the air sack being big enough.

My point is. What ever works for you is the right answer.

My own opinion is most people start off sticking to the Google answer and after a few goes realise it's a good start, it's not right for them.

My personal preference for:
Chickens 45% first 18 days 70% lockdown.
Quail 35% first 15 days 70% locked. I have a auto humidity pump, but if I didn't I would be happy with 40-45% and 30-35%.
IMO lower humidity up until lockdown gives the best balance between the chick not getting too big and the air sack being big enough.
Thank you so much. The "Google" answer led me to believe that 55%-60% is the right answer. However, I began to question that as I searched these threads and have lowered my humidity to 45%-47%. I will continue to adapt as I learn here. I appreciate your input (and levity).

Back
Top Bottom