1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humidity levels 1-18 days!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Domestic_goddess, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    What do you recommend? I'm at 65% is that too much? I have read so many different things on the internet, I'm confused.

2. mayberrygirl

mayberrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Mount Airy, NC
    Try to keep mine at 40% or below till lockdown and then raise it to 65%.

3. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Depending on whether I'm doing a dry hatch or not... I normally keep it around 30% (16%+ if I'm doing dry). I only raise it about 50% if I'm on day 18+.

Good luck with your hatch! :)

4. Domestic_goddess

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    So it was 65%, I couldn't seem to get the humidity down, kept taking out water. Finally took all the water out and now it's saying 70% [​IMG]I'm only on day one and ready to give up.

5. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    Domestic_Goddess..dont give up!! I was there two days ago..what I did is removed the water dish and opened my vents to get humidity down. I too have had a very hard time deciding on humidity after searching the internet I found someone who has hatched before in my area and asked them what they kept their humdity at and I am keeping mine at 30-40% humidity. I honestly dont know if this is good or bad at this point and I really have nothing to lose (eggs are from my flock) and THIS IS MY VERY FIRST HATCH..so I am taking it as a learning experience at this point.

6. Domestic_goddess

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah

Thanks so my for your encouragment![​IMG] I finally got it down and it's now at 38%, I'm not going mess with the humidity again unless it drops below 30%. I love my chickens, and enjoy the chicks. But I'm starting to wonder if the whole hatching thing is right for me, it's much too stressful. Well we will have to learn together, because this is also my very first hatch. Good luck, and keep me posted I'de loved to hear your progress!

7. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    What model do you have?

I just hatched 4 RIR chicks, with the humidity at 55% - 60%. There was 5 eggs, and 4 hatched. One died for unknown causes...

Good luck!

8. newduckie

newduckie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    I am a week in and cant get mine up past 29%. So it looks like I am doing a dry hatch??? I have added water and added water and it does not budge. Temp is spot on tho and all the eggs have veins and a spot, so all is good so far. I just worry about the actual hatch. this is my third year hatching and it NEVER gets less stressful.

9. newduckie

newduckie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    also, I didnt have the trouble with humidity in the past. Not sure why this year. I bought a new humidity gauge tonight and it is reading 29

10. Domestic_goddess

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    It's a hova-bator, 2362N model circulated air with turner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by