humidity levels

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mamagallina, Apr 3, 2009.

1. mamagallina

mamagallina Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    If the humidity level in my incubator is 60% what's the ideal temperature for hatching chickens?

2. backpack09

backpack09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Whitman, MA
    The average recommended humidity is 40-50% for the first 18 days. Temps should be kept within a degree of 99.5

3. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I keep mine between 40-45 the first 18 days, and then 70-75 the last three.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I WISH 60% was my problem..... I can't get it high enough these days. Its a constant struggle.

5. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    my temp I keep at 99.5 also, with 70-75% humidity the last three days. Hope that helps.

6. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:Just wanted to tell you what my friend suggested works for her. She hatches out lots of silkies and has great success. On day 19, she places a quarter piece(cut it) of a Magic Eraser that has been wet with warm water in the incubator to up the humidity(of course this is a new Eraser--don't use anything used or that may have chemicals on it) and try not to place it up against the eggs. Anyhow, it holds the moisture in much better than a sponge!!! I'm trying this technique right now--currently on day 19 now! Hope this helps! [​IMG] I'll keep you posted on my hatch!!!

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

After shorting out the LG, building a now non-working hatcher, buying a hovabator still air, and loosing three hatches, I'm back to incubating and hatching in the cabinet. The humidity RARELY gets over 50% and it stays the same from day 1 to day 21... so I give up. After loosing three hatches, I left this one in the cabinet and hatched 6 out of 8 so far, and I'm waiting on the 7th to finish hatching as I type. So who knows....... if it continues to work, I'll leave well enough alone, and not worry about the numbers.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by