Humidity levels?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Puresilk, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Puresilk

Puresilk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    I read all this about checking and changing humidity, but my incubator does not have a guage for humidity, how would I change it, and how would I know what to change it to and when to change it??? It just has a thermometer in it....I have been keeping it right at 100 degrees

2. fowlmamma

fowlmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    northeastern pa
    you have to buy a hygrometer ( sold at walmart) and you have to monitor yourself . i bought the digital ones they have the temp on it to. humidity is huge factor in a successful hatch

3. Puresilk

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    But how do you change the humidity without changing temperature? Do all incubators require humidity guages?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  4. Puresilk

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    the incubator has a couple pencil sized holes in the top (custom holes I believe), and several smaller holes in the bottom, does that have anything to do with it?

5. fowlmamma

fowlmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    northeastern pa
    there should be a red plug on top . if the humidity is to high take the plug out until the desired level is reached if to low just add some water.

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    To change humidity, you do not change the temp, you just add or reduce amount of water in the bottom of the tray. Humidity is extremely important to a successful hatch.

7. Puresilk

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    No red plug. I asked a friend of mine last night that used to raise a lot of chickens, and he said some of the smaller styrofoam incubators (this one included) never had a humidity guage. He said he never used a humidity guage, just make sure it doesnt run dry, and he hatched hundreds of chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by