Humidity problem

littlels

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
This is our first set of eggs. We have a Hovabator 1588 and we put the water in the one trough and according to the directions we were good as long as we kept water in that one trough. We only have the one thermometer in it that came with it and it ALWAYS read 100 degrees. Tonight we put a digital thermometer in that also reads humidity and it says that our humidity is at 53%. I read that it supposed to be set at about 45% when setting the eggs. So as far as we know, the eggs have always been at 53%. Monday is lockdown. How do we get the humidity down without losing the temperature in the bator? Is that way too high that the eggs won't hatch or we are going to have other problems? Also, what happens if the humidity gets wacko after lockdown because I know I'm not supposed to open it. Arrgghh...

My 1602 has vent plugs in the top, if yours does take 1 or both of them out & it should help it come down, never had a 1588 but it should have plugs in it to.

Now I'm really confused because I found on the BYC that the humidity should be at 50%. Another source said 45% and another one said 60-65%!!! What is the right humidity???

I think the 1588 has one red vent plug on top. I agree and would take it out. Your humidity was a little higher then I would incubate at. If you do another hatch try without any water. The eggs need to loose a certain amount of moisture during incubation and if the humidity is to high then the chicks can drown when they pip an air sack with moisture in it.

Originally I incubated at 50% humidity and had a decent hatch rate but since I have been incubating at around 35% and raise my humidity during lockdown to around 65% to 75%. Now my hatches has been around 100%. My last hatch was 100% and my hatch before that only one egg didn't hatch. You just have to experiment and see what works best for you. Also where you live also can make a difference as I live in a more humid part of the country and you may be in a dryer area which can also affect the incubation. I do keep my incubator in a room closed off. I didn't think that 100% hatches were possible but now I have had several I know they are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom