Humidity Question - First time hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sara1226, Dec 24, 2016.

1. sara1226

sara1226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin
    Hello everyone and Merry Christmas!

A friend of mine has surprised me with an incubator for Christmas. It's a "yescom" brand (anyone familiar with those?). It sounds like a nice one, as it fits 48 eggs and has an automatic turner. I also happen to have a broody hen (hen from my profile picture), so my plan is to put some fertile eggs under her, and a few in the incubator. On the 11th day I will candle the eggs and if some of the ones are no good under my hen I will swap out some good ones from the incubator. It's only in the 30's where I'm at, so I'm not counting on the fertile eggs I have here to be too viable unless I catch them being laid and still warm, so I ordered 9 eggs from a hatchery. I know that some can break during shipment and that some of those might not be fertile, so I'll be happy if I just end up with 2-6 chicks in the end. I don't know how to use an incubator so I sure hope it comes with instructions! I do have a couple of questions that I sure would appreciate some help with.

1. I had once read that the use of incubators results in more Roos, versus broody hen hatching. I also read that the humidity levels will have an effect on the hen to Roo ratio.
    ARE EITHER OF THESE THINGS TRUE??

2. I have a friend that is a veterinary lab technician. She said the most important thing to know is to NOT assist a chick when it's trying to get out of the shell, AND that when using an incubator, I must stay closed until the chicks are 24 hours old. Is there anything else that is critically important for me to know regarding my broody hen and/or using an incubator?

This is my first hatch, I ordered day old chicks from a hatchery last year and wanted to try this instead. Any advice is really really appreciated!!

Thank you!

~ Sara

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. melliston

melliston Just Hatched

Dec 24, 2016
    Ft Pierce, FL
    Sara
    The sex of the embryo is controlled by the hen, ( unlike humans, where it is the male), so using an incubator or adjusting humidity will not give you more or less roos. I have my first batch of eggs from my own hens incubating right now, due to hatch on Jan 3rd. If I don't like my ratios,I will try to mark which eggs are from which hens in my next rotation to find out which birds are giving me more females, and try to sell the other eggs to my buyers. Or just raise the excess roos for the freezer

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  3. melliston

melliston Just Hatched

Dec 24, 2016
    Ft Pierce, FL
    As far as leaving the chicks in to 24 hours, some say yes, others say until dry and fluffy. I do until dry and fluffy, and remove in groups. You want to open it as little as possible.. As far as helping the hatch. We do help ours as needed, but they need to be the one to kick out of the shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by