Humidity questions for a first hatcher. A little help please!

I don't know, maybe I should have gotten the "stupid-proof" one as well. I am young, but definitely forgetful:) I already told my 6 year old she is in charge or reminding me to turn the eggs.
wink.png

thanks again, you were very helpful so I may PM you again.

Quote:
I have a Brinsea Mini Advance. My first two hatches, I thought the humidity was too high following their directions, so for my third hatch I bought a little hygrometer and taped it to the plastic dome so I could monitor it easily. If you don't have the auto-turner, you can just lay it next to the eggs.

My first two hatches were 100%. This time I carefully controlled the humidity and had a 57% hatch rate. Go figure.

The humidity will stay fairly level until your eggs start to hatch. That was when I was really worried about it getting too high, but I ended up with one shrink-wrapped chick that I saved, but two more eggs that have not hatched and are probably dead.

The hygrometer I got was from CigarExtras.com and is about 1-1/4" across with a metal body and glass lens. Good deal for only $10. Got it through eBay.

I think next time I'll fill one side until lockdown, then both sides, and let it be. Brinsea really makes a great incubator.

When it comes to the Brinsea Mini's, gryeyes is the PRO.

Thanks for your comments. Maybe I'll just follow their instructions too and not worry about humidity...sounds like it didn't pay off for you when you monitored it. I'd honestly rather not worry about it. It's just I got these awesome BCM eggs coming and I'm so excited! I REALLY want one of these roosters. My 4 year old asked for a rooster for her bday and so if we get one (we only ordered 6!) I think we'll name him Birthday Boy---although she will probably rename him fluffy, or blackie, or something like that;)

I'm testing my temp/ humidity now and its saying its 98degrees, and 58%humidity with one well filled and no eggs, how does that sound? some sites say to shoot for 55% humidity and some say as high as 75%! Should I be concerned about the temp, or do you think its probably just my thermometer? (it IS a pretty old one...) did you ever have to readjust your temp? it sounds kind of intimidating to do so...
hmm.png

The temperature and humidity are about right. I left mine set at the preset temperature and it held really steady.

You will love your BCMs! I have a rooster and one young hen, and I just hatched 4 of their chicks Wednesday! They are beautiful birds, and, while this is my first experience with a rooster, he is a dandy! He is good to his girls and has never offered to be aggressive with us. I also have a blue, splash, and cuckoo marans. But the only one that lays the really dark eggs is the BCM.

Good luck, and post pictures when you get them!

Here are some of my pics...
50766_cimg3304.jpg

50766_cimg3313.jpg

50766_cimg3356.jpg

hey,i forgot to ask---about how often did you have to add water? and during lockdown? is it important to keep them"full" at all times? or just have water in them?

I'm using the Eco 20 and have both wells filled. Humidity is at about 33%... It is in my basement where the humidity is about 35%. Should I bring it up some? What can you all recommend? I have no room in my tray so it would have to be something under the tray...

sounds low from everything I've been hearing on the subject, but I'm no expert. did you see what jordanfamily posted earlier in this thread about the sponge/ sock thing? you probably did, but if not, have a looksy.

Quote:
How often you need to add water is going to depend on your house humidity. I check mine daily and try to keep it topped off. The nice thing about the Brinsea Minis is that they come back up to temperature in a matter of seconds. It takes a lot longer on the bigger bators.

I would fill both of them to the brim when you lock down. If you have the turning ring, remember to take it out so you don't have even more to clean up. I took some of the rubberized shelf liner and cut it to fit the inside with a hole for the water reservoirs. I did two layers. The first couple of times I used paper towels and they got pretty wet during the hatch (which undoubtedly made my humidity even worse).

I would only open the lid during lockdown if it was an absolute necessity. That is the time the eggs are the most sensitive to changes.

Quote:
I agree, that sounds too low. The key to higher humidity, when your water trays are full, is more "surface area". I found this out when I stuck a folded up paper towel in my water reservoir. The greater surface area caused the humidity to go up quite a bit. You could use pieces of sponge in your trays, and experiment until you get to around 50%-55% humidity.

Back
Top Bottom