Humidity questions for a first hatcher. A little help please!

Quote:
It will turn just fine with only 6. You ought to see if you can find somebody to give you an extra fertile egg to throw in...

Quote:
It will turn just fine with only 6. You ought to see if you can find somebody to give you an extra fertile egg to throw in...

I know someone who puts plastic eggs filled with sand in her incubator to act as heat sinks.

When some of the eggs have hatched but others haven't, do you leave all the chicks inside, or do you take out the ones that have dried?

Quote:

I know someone who puts plastic eggs filled with sand in her incubator to act as heat sinks.

When some of the eggs have hatched but others haven't, do you leave all the chicks inside, or do you take out the ones that have dried?

I think heat sinks are more important in the larger incubators where it takes a lot longer for it to come up to heat after it is opened. The Brinsea Minis come back up to temperature so quickly that you don't need to worry.

I have never left all of the chicks in until the rest of the eggs have hatched. My first two hatches, where the humidity was through the roof but I hatched 100%, the chicks just wouldn't dry, so I waited until I had two or three and then put them in the brooder. This last time I kept the humidity under control and hatched 3 that dried and fluffed out. A 4th egg had pipped and started to zip, but was taking a long time, so I took the three out and then wrapped the pipped egg in a damp paper towel with a hole so the chick could breathe and I could monitor it. I ended up having to help it out. A 5th chick died in the shell, shrink-wrapped.

Back
Top Bottom