humidity says 75% but

firsttimehatch1

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 15, 2015
im on day 18 and im in lock down. eggs are rocking around but i see people posting pictures of precipitation on the windows of their incubator when the humidity is that high. there is none on mine. is this a bad sign? everything has be on point the whole time. im just nervous that i dont see any dew on the windows its a bad thing

im on day 18 and im in lock down. eggs are rocking around but i see people posting pictures of precipitation on the windows of their incubator when the humidity is that high. there is none on mine. is this a bad sign? everything has be on point the whole time. im just nervous that i dont see any dew on the windows its a bad thing

I can't help because I used a different incubator, but as the chicks pip, hatch, and dry off the relative humidity should rise. This is one reason that I think that opening the incubator the last 3 or 4 days is a bad idea and you will kill more vigorous and healthy chicks that way, than you can save weak and sickly chicks that will die anyway..

In a forced air incubator I like a higher relative humidity or a wet bulb reading of around 83 -85 degrees or so. Don't site the incubator near appliances and cold or heat sources like water heaters, driers, windows, refrigerators, dish washers, stoves, kitchen counters, utility rooms, or heaters, AC vents or exterior doors. If you are able, use a small interior closet for your incubator room but test every day for a week or so that the temperature and humidity INSIDE the closet as well as INSIDE the incubator is steady and reliable, WITH THE INCUBATOR INSIDE AND RUNNING, before you set your eggs. Crack the closet door just a smidgen so that there is enough air exchange to provide sufficient oxygen to the eggs while allowing the CO2 exhaled by the developing chicks to escape, and remember to turn off that light. Take a couple of empity 2 liter Coke bottles and fill them with tap water and store them near your incubator so that you'll have a ready source of warmed water to add it to the incubator if needed. Remember that a watched pot never boils and that an overly disturbed egg never hatches.

PS:
remember that the racket made by peeping and already hatched chicks spur all the pipping eggs to make a greater effort to hatch. So wait until at LEAST 22 FULL days has passed before opening the incubator. Small incubators may be an exception but if I was only wanting to hatch a halfdozen or two worth of eggs i would rather let the old hen do the work for me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom