humidity stuff

So would it be safe to put vents about a foot above their heads in the roost area?

I have a tri level set up inside... The roost level is at 4' off the coop floor with roost bars a foot from that so about 5' feet. The roost side is on the high side of the building which is roughly 10'.

Trying to figure out a way to vent but not put a draft over them at night or windy days?

You have the right idea.

A foot above their heads would be great...again, as long as it is draft free...divert the draft away from the birds...

Perhaps use this roof vent as an idea

Last edited:
Ok well the rain has let up enough for me to add more vents.

I added one more 24"x6" and another round vent at the bottom near my deep cycle battery (for solar) this stuff also needs ventilation.

My humidity level is still pretty high but so is the humidity around because of all the rain.

I did some measurements today and it looks like I can fit 5- 12"x4" vents along the top wall above the roosts that will not create a draft. This would put the vents 2ft above they're roosts... so about 1ft above them, when on the roosts.
I also will be adding 2- 12"x4" vents on either side above the roosts as well.
So 7- 12"x4" vents total.

I realize that isn't necessarily 13 sq ft of venting but that is what I have room for and I think in the long run it will work out. I do also use the window for ventilation too. And when weather allows I open the man door as well.

Another great source of ventilation is the human door. Mine opens out, and inside I built a screen door and covered it with hardware cloth. This way the girls can have plenty of fresh air and still be protected when the weather is reasonable. I see yours opens in, so you could place the screen door on the outside.
I am planning on asking a friend that is a metal worker to make me a metal screen door and probably cover for the window that match for the coop. At least going to see what that would cost vs getting something store bought that isn't as strong. If it is too expensive I research and see what is available. It's a great idea, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom