humidity stuff

kloverdarling

Songster
9 Years
Dec 9, 2014
Virginia
Hello, I am pretty new to this chicken business.

Question: What humidity level is comfortable for chickens?

It's been raining off and on all week, my humidity level currently is around 70-75% Highest yet!
My birds seem fine but I am wondering if I should worry.
Normally its at around 30% tops during the day and I am noticing a rise to 44-47% which I think is happening at night.

My coop is 8x8 with 13-10 week old chickens.
We will be parting with 5-6 of them once they are big enough.
So space I am not terribly worried about currently.
I have some ventilation, wondering if I should add more, I see that is most people's advice.

Is it just the weather right now or what?

Below are pictures of the coop's ventilation. Keep in mind that when it isn't raining the man door is open during the day also to let the coop breath.

Each vent is 24"x6" I have 5 right now.
I also have a 6" round hooded vent close to the floor by the man door.
I have no problem with adding more vents either...

Darn! Please don't tell my chickens about that ventilation rule. I have less, and they are doing well. If they find out, they'll want me to put in more vents.

Folks, just like us human beings, when the humidity rises, we are a bit uncomfortable and don't really like it, but it doesn't hurt us. Unless your chickens are sick or old, don't fret it; they will be fine.

Right you are! But since it is Spring and she lives in Colorado, and didn't say it is below freezing, her chickens will be just fine. And, a key to her post is "my birds seem fine". Too many chicken owners treat their chickens, or at least think of them, as household pets or even "children". They are a hearty breed that have survived for thousands of years...and many of the "concerns" you read on this forum have nothing to do with chicken reality; they spring from chicken ignorance. Not looking to ruffle any feathers (pun intended), just being realistic.

I'm still working on ventilation design, have been adding more as they grow... They are 10 weeks old.

And I didn't have the major rise until the rain started. It was down to 68% yesterday.

And because of all this rain I haven't been able to add more as of current.

Am going to add another 24"x6" for above the window. I use the window itself for ventilation as well. Going to cover the window on the outside for preditor protection so I worry less about it being open.

Also another 6" round on the bottom near my deep cycle solar stuff. More air moving around the battery for ventilation for it and the coop.

Does anyone know how high from the birds vents should be if I end up adding them above their roosts?

Been trying to figure out a way to avoid this but when I look at my structure that's where I am going to probably have to put some...

Another great source of ventilation is the human door. Mine opens out, and inside I built a screen door and covered it with hardware cloth. This way the girls can have plenty of fresh air and still be protected when the weather is reasonable. I see yours opens in, so you could place the screen door on the outside.

I think you will find all birds seem fine just until they get ill...
smile.png

Prevention is important.

Your coop humidity should be near ambient humidity levels when well ventilated.

When raining, you will find the humidity level very high, as you noticed.

The air is saturated with moisture. This could be your observations as well?

As stated, humidity levels really become an issue during the colder season.

Seems you are very much informed and are preparing your coop so as not to be in an undesirable situation too late...

Does anyone know how high from the birds vents should be if I end up adding them above their roosts?

Been trying to figure out a way to avoid this but when I look at my structure that's where I am going to probably have to put some...

It's very important to keep drafts away from the birds.

A draft that can ruffle a bird's feathers and will allow the stored heat to escape.

Hot humid air will naturally rise, you don't want it to settle on the bird's head when roosting (frostbite).

No simple answer to your question, except above their heads, and draft free...perhaps on the opposite side of the roosts??

Back
Top Bottom