Humidity to high in brooder, please advise.

Angelove

Chirping
Jun 11, 2021
I am a new duck mom, raising my first set of ducklings, and I have a question about humidity in their environment...
I have my lights as far away from their water as possible (only shinning in a small corner on the opposite side, which seems comfortable to them). And have scaled down to a 75 watt bulb in to keep their whole tub from getting too hot. Their temperature is 84 right now, but their humidity is almost 70..
I am nervous about mold growing since the humidity is over 60, but I can’t seem to get it to go down.. They are currently on towels that I wash everyday, so I hope that will keep their environment from molding..and, I am still so nervous about giving them respiratory issues/infections..I have a dehumidifier running in the room, and they start panting and trying to cool off if I turn the temperature up at all. They are in bedroom that we use often, has windows that can open (are shut now because it’s raining) and is on the whole house recirculation system...
Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a serious problem/dangerous? What did you do/ can I do to lower the humidity?...
I just don’t understand how anyone is able to brood in a plastic tote (even a large one like mine) without this happening.

ah yes I was going to ask what enclosure you were using. It makes such a difference.
Generally heat dries the environment so in a drafty cage the humidty would stay very low, the more you enclose things the more the humidity is trapped.
When they poo they create humidity, when they drink they splash water about and if you let them walk in itt hey will spread even more water/humidity around.

I've never raised ducks so I'd imagine them being water loving animals it would be inherently harder but shouldn't be impossible with an open top. So just chicken wire as a lid.

Kitchen towel is probably the worst thing to line the floor with, coming from a plant growers perspective. If I want to raise humidity then a wet kitchen towel would do that really well, a pine shaving or even nothing on the floor would dry better without raising humidity as much. I'm no expert on why but kitchen towel has a big drying surface so it gives off loads of moisture as it dries.

If that is still no good you can add a small fan, a usb powered router fan works well, it will blow the humidity out but also your heat which will mean you might have to lower the lamp.

Thank you 🙏🏼, we added fans and changed the type of bedding and have been able to manage the humidity✨

Back
Top Bottom