Humidity Way Too High- Help

Quote:
How old is your Hygrometer? Have you calibrated it? If not, I would do that too. The reading may be off because of that. I just had to calibrate both of mine, one was off by 21 degrees.

Brand new, I got them out of the package yesterday.

Last edited:
you need a ziploc bag, a screw-on beer bottle cap (or other small container) a small amount of salt (regular 'ole table salt), and water.

Place the salt in the bottle cap (or other small container).
Dampen the salt with water. Do not put so much in that the salt gets "sloppy". You want a damp pile of salt in the bottle cap.
Place both the hygrometer and the bottle cap full of damp salt in the ziploc bag and seal it well. (It is important not to let air on or out while the test is going on.)
Keep it like this for over 8 hours.
After 8 hours in the damp salt environment, the actual humidity inside the bag will be 75%. Compare it to your hygrometer, your hygrometer should also read 75%. If not, you will then know exactly how far off your hygrometer is. If it's off, note the amount and direction that it actually reads and be sure to add or subtract that amount when reading the hygrometer. If the hygrometer has a control to adjust it (either the needle or the display), you can set the hygrometer to 75% immediately after the test.

Nick, I had a similar problem with my Genesis 1588--I called the manufacturer's troubleshooters for help. They said it's next to impossible to have those issues with a brand new incubator and it must be the hygrometer... Anyway one thing was I had my hygrometer on the floor of the incubator and humidity should be measured at eggtop level. I also had put water in one too many troughs so I emptied it and started over. Everything was okay after that.

Thanks everyone. My hygrometers are set in the salt test and I will wake up tomorrow at 6:20 AM to check them, and set the eggs! The reason I'm doing it so early is because these really did need to be set tonight.

Back
Top Bottom