humidity?

kjk66ss

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 18, 2011
chatsworth,ca
why do i have such a hard time maintaining humidity?

i get up in the morning and the hygrometer shows 10% ill add water to a sponge in the bator then it jumps up to 45-50% but drops fairly quickly.

so then ill add water to the trays on the bottom but then it stays too high. then when i get it where i want it doesnt not stay their long. is their an easier way?

I never trust the digital hygrometer. I have found it to be extremely incorrect. I use a dial type hygrometer purchased online from a cigar shop for @ $8. It is not digital and has no batteries. It is about the size of a 50 cent piece and sits on the wire in the incubator. Also, you may want to consider dry incubation. It's all I ever use. I add NO water at all until day 18 at lockdown. I pour in a cup of warm water and lock 'er down. I don't add any more water after that. Once the chicks start hatching, humidity goes up on its own. Search Ebay for cigar hygrometer. If you choose to get one from a pet store, compare each package and you'll notice that each one reads something different which makes them unreliable at best.

my hugrometer is a dial non digital gauge from petco. my thermometer is a digital gauge.

i started out with no water .and add a teaspoon at a time,seems to make no difference till i add about a tablespoon then the humidity jumps up.

the problem when i try to dry incubate is if i add no water at all then the humidity stays at only 8-10% inside. and the incubator is in my room so its not exposed to the outside elements.

Here is a great and reliable hygrometer test. http://www.burgessviolins.com/calibration.html I was tearing my hair out with my hovabator also. My humitidy is also 10% without any water so had to add some and during lockdown I was putting water everywhere to get to 60% or more. My husband built me a new one for Christmas.
big_smile.png
I love it!

Put the incubator on a large cake pan(not in) an pour water in the pan. That should raise the humidity of the air coming in the bottom vents.

Make sure air can get between the pan an the bottom of the incubator.

Last edited:
What controls humidity is water surface area. It does not matter how deep the water is in a reservoir, but how much water surface is exposed. With the sponge, you are creating a lot of water surface area, but the water evaporates fairly quickly and the sponge dries out.

I have the 1588 and only put water in the middle reservoir for incubation. For lockdown I fill a couple more reservoirs. The humidity inside the incubator can vary a fair amount depending on the conditions in the room. I don't worry too much about getting a precise humidity but mainly use my hygrometer to tell me when that reservoir is dry and I need to add water.

If you only fill one reservoir and find your humidity is higher than you want, cover part of that reservoir with aluminum foil to reduce surface area.

Put the incubator on a large cake pan(not in) an pour water in the pan. That should raise the humidity of the air coming in the bottom vents.

Make sure air can get between the pan an the bottom of the incubator.

goodpost.gif
Most excellent idea! I have never had trouble with getting humidity up, but for those who have... Yay!

This is what I do, too! I have the 1588 model as well and have three hygrometers (that have all different readings). I only add water when there is a big drop in humidity; otherwise I leave it alone.

I have the 1588 and only put water in the middle reservoir for incubation. For lockdown I fill a couple more reservoirs. The humidity inside the incubator can vary a fair amount depending on the conditions in the room. I don't worry too much about getting a precise humidity but mainly use my hygrometer to tell me when that reservoir is dry and I need to add water.

Back
Top Bottom