humidity

KathyJB

Songster
11 Years
May 9, 2012
I am curious about humidity as I live in Texas about 100 miles west of Houston. The humidity now is at 100% and if I had a broody hen setting eggs, how would she regulate that type of humidity? Just curious because I've been reading info on humidity in incubators and after the rainy days we've had it got me to wondering about what hens do?

Kathy, I live in Beaumont, you raise a good question, been doing a little study on humidity myself, I was told it needs to be around 51-52 in my incubator, I have no idea how a hen can do that when its 100% outside...Roost

Me either. I sure wish I had a broody hen. My eggs are in a Little Giant and it's been nothing but a Giant Headache with keeping the temperature correct. Gads!

you know before I went big I had a GQF Styrofoam with all the bells and whistles and it worked really well, had the fan, the auto turner, and the glass window. I had one, then two, then three of those before I bought the big cabinet 1202, I think their way better than the little giant...Roost

I think anything is better than the Little Giant. I have a Spot Check thermometer in there now and it's not reading what the mercury thermometers are. It's lower. This sucks chicken poop

I am curious about humidity as I live in Texas about 100 miles west of Houston. The humidity now is at 100% and if I had a broody hen setting eggs, how would she regulate that type of humidity? Just curious because I've been reading info on humidity in incubators and after the rainy days we've had it got me to wondering about what hens do?
They don't. There's nothing they can do. However its outside where there is fresh air, in a closed box things can get sketchy because there is not much air exchange.

That makes sense, but there seemed to be a lot emphasized on levels of humidity in an incubator that I had to ask. So 98% inside a coop, under a hen is good and whatever the humidity is inside your incubator (can't remember what it's supposed to be) is good too.

Thank you, Russian Chickens

That makes sense, but there seemed to be a lot emphasized on levels of humidity in an incubator that I had to ask. So 98% inside a coop, under a hen is good and whatever the humidity is inside your incubator (can't remember what it's supposed to be) is good too.

Thank you, Russian Chickens
No the humidity inside the bator still needs to be specific. Dry hatch is the best, check out that methods. Temperature is more important and humidity being steady. If your humidity bounces up and down you're in for some real problems. (I'm going through this as we speak with a problem bator and shipped eggs)

Back
Top Bottom