Humidty Too High During Days 1-18

deerman,

What's a LG incubator?

Should I check the air cell at this point when they are starting to pip? Where do you get an accurite (Hygrometer, I'm assuming?) ?
no need to check air cell now...just the three time on that chart.

Little Giant incubators

accurite i got @ Wal Mart reads temp. and humidity, also high and low of both so you know how high or low was thru the hatch,

In AZ, don't you use a non-starndard a/c that introduces humidity into the inside air? I cannot remember what they're called, and I don't know if my description is so great, but I bet you know what I'm talking about. Could that be why the hum in the house is so high?

I'm not recommending you do this, but I'm just tossing it out there in the hopes that someone more knowledgable will respond, but what would happen if you put the bator outside where it's really dry?

I'm in central Texas and I'm trying it (but in opposite) here. I'm on Day 2, and put my bator outside because I wanted a little more humidity. I just checked it, and it's too high. Not sure what to do.

Boy, I'm a day late on this one. I responded after reading the first page. I didn't noticed that we were way past that point. How many did you get??

Well, I just had to update everybody since you were all so helpful!

The hydrometer (which I never checked to see if it was accurate) showed 30-40% all during hatch. I couldn't get it any lower. But I have not had ANY problems so far.
jumpy.gif

Six have hatched and there are 4 to go and they've all pipped. Those that hatched were not excessively wet but almost on the dry side. (Take into consideration, I've never done this before, so my idea of dry may be all wrong.)

We were able to catch on video the birth of our very 1st chick to hatch. I posted it on You Tube if you're interested.

I had to dub music in because between me and the kids, we were making a lot of noise. The kids were really urging the chick on!

I have one concern and that is I think one of the chicks' legs splay out but since they're all similar in color and a little unsteady I can't tell for sure if I'm looking at the same one each time.

Any tips on that or anything else?

In AZ, don't you use a non-starndard a/c that introduces humidity into the inside air? I cannot remember what they're called, and I don't know if my description is so great, but I bet you know what I'm talking about. Could that be why the hum in the house is so high?

I'm not recommending you do this, but I'm just tossing it out there in the hopes that someone more knowledgable will respond, but what would happen if you put the bator outside where it's really dry?

I'm in central Texas and I'm trying it (but in opposite) here. I'm on Day 2, and put my bator outside because I wanted a little more humidity. I just checked it, and it's too high. Not sure what to do.
KatGold,

The type of cooling system you're referring to is what we call Evaporative Cooling or also know as a Swamp Cooler. We don't have ours hooked up yet this year but depending if its our monsoon season, it can cause a lot of humidity.

Thanks for the input.

Well, I just had to update everybody since you were all so helpful!

The hydrometer (which I never checked to see if it was accurate) showed 30-40% all during hatch. I couldn't get it any lower. But I have not had ANY problems so far.
jumpy.gif

Six have hatched and there are 4 to go and they've all pipped. Those that hatched were not excessively wet but almost on the dry side. (Take into consideration, I've never done this before, so my idea of dry may be all wrong.)

We were able to catch on video the birth of our very 1st chick to hatch. I posted it on You Tube if you're interested.

I had to dub music in because between me and the kids, we were making a lot of noise. The kids were really urging the chick on!

I have one concern and that is I think one of the chicks' legs splay out but since they're all similar in color and a little unsteady I can't tell for sure if I'm looking at the same one each time.

Any tips on that or anything else?
congrats on the chicks.. leave the humidity alone so long as they are popping out fine on their own..
when a chick hatches it's "wet".. but kind of like after you wash your hair and towel dry it really well.. so "damp" is what you are looking for.. not sopping wet
for the splay legged chick.. you can tape it's legs or try using this stuff (I buy it at walmart)

i use it in the bators at hatch as well in all the brooders for the first few days.. it's pretty cheap.. can be cut to size and if you want you can wash it (I usually buy new for most of the things I use it for).. best thing for preventing splay legs or correcting slight cases of splay leg.. if a chick has the leg WAY out to the side and can't do much more than flop it's better to tape the legs
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry scroll down to "Leg hobbles to treat splay leg"

congrats on the chicks.. leave the humidity alone so long as they are popping out fine on their own..
when a chick hatches it's "wet".. but kind of like after you wash your hair and towel dry it really well.. so "damp" is what you are looking for.. not sopping wet
for the splay legged chick.. you can tape it's legs or try using this stuff (I buy it at walmart)

i use it in the bators at hatch as well in all the brooders for the first few days.. it's pretty cheap.. can be cut to size and if you want you can wash it (I usually buy new for most of the things I use it for).. best thing for preventing splay legs or correcting slight cases of splay leg.. if a chick has the leg WAY out to the side and can't do much more than flop it's better to tape the legs
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry scroll down to "Leg hobbles to treat splay leg"
yinepu,

Thanks for the link and suggestion of shelving liner. I immediately switched to a towel for the flooring. I also wrapped tape around the chicks legs because both of them were going out quite from in opposite directions.

Back
Top Bottom