Humility Problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lacrystol, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    OK I have not done anything different to my bator, the humility has been reading just fine until today, we are on the 9th day and all of a sudden the humity wants to rise and rise and rise. I have decreased and decrease the water, has anyone else ever had this problem?? We hit a high of 67% I have been watching it and within 5 minutes the humilty is up again, I hate to have to keep opening the incubator to decrease the water but I don't want my new babies to drown...

2. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Songster

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    can you open any vents
    what kind of bator is it?

3. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I have all vents opened with a fan going. I took out some more water and we seem to be stabiled again.

4. dwdoc

dwdoc Songster

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    Quote:What is your ambiant humidity level? This could be playing a factor. If you have vents open it - nature has a way of evening things out.

5. youngbiddy

youngbiddy Songster

Aug 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    "Humility Problem"

Too bad you're not a man, because if you were I'd tell you it's a congenital condition associated with the Y chromosome. As it is I have to take a pass on a great one-liner and wish you luck with your humidity. [​IMG]

6. Beekercat

Beekercat Chirping

Aug 23, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    Quote:[​IMG]

Here's hoping for a very successful hatch! [​IMG]

7. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

Here's hoping for a very successful hatch! [​IMG]

x2

8. pkw

pkw Songster

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I have had a great hatch this time. I didn't add water to my incubator until I got ready to lockdown and I have 10 babies right now. My last 2 hatches I had 0 hatch. I would try dumping the water out of your incubator and then when you lockdown add water. I don't know if this will work for you.

9. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    NO water at all in the incubator until Lockdown?? Wow, didn't think that was possible?? for Hatchings?

10. SweetMotherOfMars

SweetMotherOfMars Chirping

Aug 24, 2009
    The Palouse
    I don't put water in mine unless it gets below 23%. I crank it up at lockdown though.
    The dry incubation works well for me. We hatched out over 50 chicks from a homemade 'bator last year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: