humped over and then dead chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marsh, Jan 22, 2010.

1. marsh

marsh New Egg

Jan 22, 2010
    Need an answer or a clue to what is going on. In the last 3 months I have had 3 and one more today going down -chicken die. They all act normal and then they start with a rather humped over stance- stay under the heat lamp- eat when offered food right in front of them- usually stay pretty much in one area- look like they are just sleep standing- move slowly- there bottom is tucked way under- tail drags on the ground- very wet on the underneath by their tail. This lasts for 2 to 4 days and then they die. They are 2 to 3 yrs old. We have a pretty okay set up so trying to narrow down what is up before it gets very many more of my birds. I do know that I have the scaly leg mites and so I am trying the vasaline on the legs but when it gets really cold I do not think that would be wise. I read also about veg oil- maybe better with the cold? The ones that are dying do not have the signs of mites. Ideas? Thanks

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Yikes wish I could help. Have you wormed them lately? I am going to give you a friendly bump so maybe someone can help you before you lose any more birds!

Good luck!

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Coccidia maybe ?

4. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I had a 10 month pullet last week show the exact same symptoms. hunched up, refused to eat or drink. after 2 days and no improvement I practically force fed her yogurt mixed with egg yolk mixed with a little water to make it real watery. that perked her up a bit because I believe she was severely dehydrated. I went and got some Corid and treated her water and the yogurt/egg yolk mixture. I would not have thought it was cocci because she is so old and not a chick. she also had runny poo no blood. well on my way to get the Corid at the feed store I thought for sure she would be dead when I got home she was so week but today 1 week later she is out doing the usual chicken activities and shows no sign of being near death. I don't know if it was Cocci but she is fine now. It is worth a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by