1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hunch back quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rellikmalinois, Sep 27, 2013.

1. rellikmalinois

rellikmalinois Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    New Hampshire
    One of my quails has a hunched back, possible growth. Anyone seen this before?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rellikmalinois

rellikmalinois Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Anyone?

3. VickieB57

VickieB57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    I just spoke with Robbie at James Marie Farms and he brought up this very thing. He said that a quail could break its back, or pull it and it would make it look like it had a hunchback, or like an emu. He said they would be in extreme pain and if I remember correctly said that they should be dispatched it that happened.

4. kiwicampbell

kiwicampbell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    We had a quail that had a hunchback from the time it came out of the egg. It was my first hatch and I figured it would just die and it did not. She grew up and laid lovely big eggs and was healthy and happy...just had a huge hunchback and head looked out sideways. My children named her "Quailimodo" and she was over a year old when she was lost to a raccoon attack.
    So maybe it is a problem if it was normal and is now like that but our one was always that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by