Hunch-breasted mallard duckling. is this normal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BigKitty09, Jun 22, 2011.

1. BigKitty09

BigKitty09 Out Of The Brooder

My 2 week mallard duckling has some really big jugs( large breast) and it seems un-proportioned with the rest of her body. It looks she swallowed a chicken egg and is harvesting it in her breast. For reference she is about 6-7 in. long. We feed her around 10 mini slugs (ranging in size but no bigger than a shelled sunflower seed) and maybe a worm or 2, whatever she eats from our grass which doesnt have fertilizers and a near endless supply of duck mash and water. She walks around fine and happy, but just wanted to make sure i wasn't over doing it. She also has grit should I be feeding her anything else? I wish I could post pictures so you could see what i was talking about....

2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    If you post enough times you will be able to post pictures....or you can try using photobucket (I've heard that suggested). I think your duck is probably fine if its behaviors are otherwise normal...i.e. eating, drinking, pooping, activity level. Good luck.

3. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Sounds like her crop is way full. If she is acting OK, then she must be able to resolve the impacted crop, however, I would keep an eye on her. If the crop gets impacted to the point that she will not eat, she will need a vet FAST.

4. BigKitty09

BigKitty09 Out Of The Brooder

yikes! Is there a way to resolve this myself before that happens?
    Does she need to eat more grit?

5. cbohn80

cbohn80 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    nj
    if its what i'm thinking of almost all my ducks had this shape to them until they got a bit larger and filled out, all 8 turned out fine so i dont think you have anything to worry about

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by