Hunched over, pale comb, shaky head, putting head behind wing... what's going on? Little 6 month old silkied serama hen

Liza728w

Songster
Jul 22, 2020
Southern Ohio
My little silkied serama has been showing concerning signs. I found her today with her head tucked into her wing and not responding when I called out to her. I grabbed her and brought her inside.

The symptoms she's showing currently:
- shaking head tilted to one side
- hunched over
-fluffed up
-not wanting to move
- putting her head behind her wing 80% of the entire day
-pale, seemingly shrunken comb
-it seems like she is a little underweight as well.

At first, I thought maybe it was too cold outside for her and maybe she didn't get up in the coop last night. It was about 40° F when I found her. Usually she has her big silkie friend to snuggle up under each night. I brought her inside and slowly warmed her up. She has shown no signs of improvement and it's been about 8 hours now.

I went ahead and mixed up some poultry vitamins, a drop of vitamin b 12, and some Kaytee bird feeding formula to give her something warm to munch on. She did eat some, but her crop has been mostly empty the entire day. Also, she is 6 months old and has never laid an egg...

I took a little pic of her all fluffed up. She has been standing in the same place for hours now. Any ideas of what's going on? I don't have any local vets specialized in chickens near me that I know of.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220109-183853_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220109-183853_Gallery.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 27
What does her poop look like? If it's not normal looking, I recommend getting her started on SMZ-TMP. Give her 1/8th tablet orally due to her small size. Give it to her once a day for 5 days. Do not give her any vitamins containing thiamine.
Head tucked under the wing and fluffed up arnt good signs and she might be on her way out. In any case, I'd still give her SMZ-TMP and hopefully she will recover.

my chicken is the same at the moment. I hope she holds on till I get the antibiotics tomorrow. Do you have any idea what this is and what causes it?

my chicken is the same at the moment. I hope she holds on till I get the antibiotics tomorrow. Do you have any idea what this is and what causes it?

Unfortunately she didn't make it. The silkie she was housed with is still alive and thriving, so I'm still scratching my head wondering what happened since none of my other birds got sick at all. 😕

Back
Top Bottom