Hunched up duck.

OMG that is exactly what he does!
He hunches up, flicks his tail, shakes his head a little bit before he straightens up and fluffs his neck feathers, repeats the act one of two times before he starts flapping his wings and straightens up all together and quacks.
Is he just doing a matting dance???
But when he hunches he does so completely, sinking his entire neck into himself like in the first picture I posted of him.
Is that normal?

OMG that is exactly what he does!
He hunches up, flicks his tail, shakes his head a little bit before he straightens up and fluffs his neck feathers, repeats the act one of two times before he starts flapping his wings and straightens up all together and quacks.
Is he just doing a matting dance???
Oh, I HOPE that's what this is!!!
gig.gif

The posture sorta does look like the beginnings of a honk-whistle, but it wouldn't explain the weight loss, except for the fact that his hormones are going on high. Now, if he's walking around for hours in that position before he straightens up, then that wouldn't be normal.

I finally caught him hunching up on video!
Now you can see what he is doing.
Alphy is the duck closest to the fence behind the pool. And this is what he does, nothing more and nothing less.
He only hunches up when he stays still, but when he waddles around he walks up straight like in the vedio. He is also very vocal.

Last edited:
Yeah, that does look like he's flirting with that one duck that looks similar to him. He seems to favor her. I know those other girls sure love him and want his attention, too.

You can try to check for respiratory problems just in case the head shaking is something else just to be cautious (I would hate to think it was nothing and it really be something). But it does look flirty to me.

I finally caught him hunching up on video!
Now you can see what he is doing.
Alphy is the duck closest to the fence behind the pool. And this is what he does, nothing more and nothing less.
He only hunches up when he stays still, but when he waddles around he walks up straight like in the vedio. He is also very vocal.
He sure is giving the sheep a piece of his mind. He really looks very healthy to me, like DD says keep an eye on him but hopefully he is just acting like a drake, when he does this hunching thing does he ever them mate with any of the girls?

Yeah, that does look like he's flirting with that one duck that looks similar to him. He seems to favor her. I know those other girls sure love him and want his attention, too.

You can try to check for respiratory problems just in case the head shaking is something else just to be cautious (I would hate to think it was nothing and it really be something). But it does look flirty to me.

The only girl however is the black and white one closest to the camera. He does favor that one though.
The other two are raspy quackers so I assume boy.
So you really think it just looks like a flirting thing?
I've been over the respiratory problems with the vet, no runny nose, no raspy lungs, no wheezing and no tail bobbing up and down, just flicking back and forth.
I would be very happy if hes just flirting!!

He sure is giving the sheep a piece of his mind. He really looks very healthy to me, like DD says keep an eye on him but hopefully he is just acting like a drake, when he does this hunching thing does he ever them mate with any of the girls?

I've seen him try and mate in the pool once, but my one girl is not laying yet so I don't think it was willing. But I haven't seen any neck grabbing, or attempts to mate, just the hunching up, and literally he does exactly what you see in the video every single time without fail.

*edit* he always yells at the sheep hehe, I think its adorable.

Last edited:
I've seen him try and mate in the pool once, but my one girl is not laying yet so I don't think it was willing. But I haven't seen any neck grabbing, or attempts to mate, just the hunching up, and literally he does exactly what you see in the video every single time without fail.

*edit* he always yells at the sheep hehe, I think its adorable.
It was adorable, this could just be his way of flirting, they usually start mating before they start to lay. So it probably won't be long. I'm thinking you need some more girls if you think she is the only one, they will wear her out in no time.

Back
Top Bottom