hung a cabbage in the coop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blueseal, Dec 3, 2010.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    my flock of 20 finished it in 5 days not to bad. might give them a head of lettuce next.

2. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    turnip greens have lots of calcium.....my chickens love them

3. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Cabbages are great fun! Chicken pinata! [​IMG]

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Ive got one hanging in each of my coops right now and they wont touch it. Maybe tomorrow when they wont be able to free range since its going to snow.

5. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Quote:Turnips are also the EASIEST thing to grow in cooler weather. You could even grow them now if you have row covers.

6. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    how are you hanging the cabbages?? I have a chinese cabbage right now I have to get out to them.
    mine love broken up pumkins this week!

7. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:i took a little piece of metal rod i had. bent the top end over tied the string to that end and put the rod thru the core of the cabbage. not all the way thru just enough so it dont come out the bottom of he cabbage. hung it about 4 or 5 inches from the floor . works good.

8. sally4500

sally4500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    NH
    The head of lettuce is not going to last 5 days like the cabbage. I have 8 hens and it was gone in an hour.

9. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    it lasted 5 days?????? I buy huge heads of cabbage and it doesn't even last them 20 minutes, you'd think they are starving or something the way mine go at it, kinda nutty. they get all sorts of yummy stuff, a head of lettuce is devoured in mere minutes, same with pumpkins and corn or what ever else I put in there.

they eat everything so fast that they have nothing to do the rest of the day, so I usually grab a small square of hay and throw it in there, they put in a lot of hard work on that bale...lol...but seriously occupies them. I wish a cabbage would last them 5 days!!

10. johny

johny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    5 days is a long time.
    My 10 Buff Orps can destroy a cabbage in just a few hours.
    I pry open the first few leaves to give them a head start.

Next summer I am going to grow extra cabbage in the garden just for the chickens to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by