hung a cabbage in the coop

Yep, our cabbage is gone quick. Hang it, come back in a bit and it is gone. Can put it on the coop floor too when they have to stay in for some rare, odd, reason...usually, related to our needs and not theirs.

After reading about the cabbage about 3 weeks ago I tried it! It went 3 days nobody touched it! Day 4 I went out in am and they had pecked on it a little by afternoon it was totally gone 14 girls and my Roo totally devoured a head of Cabbage in One day! Course it took them three days to decide they liked it so I'm curious how long it takes the next time! Oatmeal and Raisins did not take but 45 seconds to decide we liked it and 20 minutes it was gone (3 quarts of oatmeal devoured like it was nothing) Little Piggies anyway! But in their defense it was thanksgiving morning and we all stuff ourselves on Holidays

okay i guess it only took them 3 days to eat the cabbage. the first 2 days they didnt touch it. so i guess you can say they devoured it in 3 LOL.

Last edited:
I think this is a great idea..I will try hanging a cabbage next week and see how it goes. It should go pretty well, I am used to throwing scraps into them and watching them devour it in minutes.

I don't bother to hang it, just plop it in the run. My seven girls will eat it over day and a half, it not quicker. This morning they got turnip greens, but there favorite seems to be collards!! I plan to grow both for them next season.

Hmmmm Headed to get turnip or collard green! Yea I never hung mine just threw it in the bottom of the coop BTW no traces left not even the core!! They need something for entertainment since they dont get a lot of run time with the early sunsets and all and the fact they never have learned to use the TV remote and the microwave to make popcornLOL

Ernie

Last edited:
I started giving my chooks cabbages last winter and they loved them. When spring came, and got the garden planted they all ran right to the cabbages and ate them right down to the ground. Ignored everything else. We'd fenced part of the garden but hadn't gotten that part finished yet.

On top of their regular rations I give mine alfalfa hay. When they are coop bound (which here can be weeks or months depending on the snow load) they get a huge pile daily. High in calcium and they love to pick through and get the leaves. I rake up any stalks once a week. I do the Purina flock block and all kinds of other goodies too. I have 20 of various breeds etc. inside coop is 16x30 so they have lots of room to get out of each others way!

Back
Top Bottom