HURRAH! They're EATING!

ybmagpye

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Fair Oaks, California
The mailman delivered my four Faverolles girlies from MyPetChicken.com, just a couple of hours ago.

Anyway, all four eensie chickies are alive and no suprise, have their little egg tooths. So, I am getting to my point here. I got them all drinking fairly easily, but they were not eating. I thought eventually they would notice they were stumbling over their chow dish, but nope.

They pecked at my ring, so I took it off and half burried it in the dish thinking they'd peck at it, miss the ring and strike chow, but nope - wouldn't peck the ring.
hmm.png

Then it hit me! I'm Mama chicken! I used a plastic chopstick to make believe I was a hen and the chicks made a bee-line to their food dish, pecking and eating any place I tapped the chopstick! Hurrah!

Am feeling insuferably proud of myself just now
cool.png
, thought not nearly as proud as I am of 'the girls'. Has any else used the chopstick method to teach chicks to eat?

Here they are in their clever little mailing box which has a heat pad thingmajig or at least that's what I think it is.
hmm.png

28337_img_3330.jpg

Here they are, fed, watered and dozing off. Sorry but, AREN'T THEY ADORABLE!!!! : D
The white papery thing they're on is a heat thingmabob, like hunters carry in their pockets to keep their hands warm.
The green smeared thing on the left is vitamin/mineral gel for them to eat.

28337_img_3335.jpg

They are LOUD little buggers!
smile.png

Last edited:
Ooh they are adorable! And I haven't used the mama chicken chopstick method, but I have babies due to hatch in my bator on Saturday and you can bet I'll see if that works!
smile.png
Congrats on your cute babehs.

tristancolli, that's the bedding - it's actually a generalized horse/chicken/aardvark/whatever bedding, that was used at my local feedstore. Some friends of mine got chicks, used the bedding successfully so I'm giving it a whirl. It's a pelleted wood product.

Hum... they seem to be facinated by my camera - "shiny", you know.

28337_img_3338.jpg

This girl is standing on her feed dish.

Last edited:
Cute chicks.
I usually use my index finger to "peck" at things...but chopsticks apparently work well too! Good thinking!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom