Hurricane Harvey coop rebuild (Picture heavy)

Pics
It’s not lead paint, and I’m not sanding in the run. It’s needs to be repainted because of the water damage to the wood and peeling paint that’s already on it.
And that side will be left open, that’s the chicken “door”

Do a test patch to see what method you like more. If the top is super heavy I wouldn't bother to do any other kind of roofing materials.

I wouldn't worry about sanding it own to 'bare wood' just get anything loose off.
Piece of flexible rubber over the hinge area....
..or if canopy is water proof, night not need to do anything with the roof.

This is what the coop looks like right now, halfway through sanding. The red sides will be painted over with white or blue outdoor house paint, leftover from a seperate house project months ago.
View attachment 1450716
View attachment 1450717
I know, the paint should really be stripped or whatever and properly sanded down. But this is old particle board stuff and I just can’t be bothered. Its a chicken coop, yknow?
This giant cut out hole is what will be butted up against the run and screwed into the wire for the chickens to freely access. I know, wonky shape, it’s because there was a ventilation hole already there.
View attachment 1450718

My question lies in what to do with the roof. Do I:
1) leave it poop brown and slightly chipping.
2) paint over it as is with outdoor house paint.
3) try and sand it a little and then paint it with outdoor house paint.
4) buy some type of crazy resilient outdoor paint for the roof and paint that on
5) some other roofing option with shingles (keeping in mind that the flip open lid is already extremely heavy)

Remember, a waterproof pop-up canopy has already been bought and will be sitting over this, mostly so the sun won’t bake it but also for rain.

Advice please
I vote #1 or 2.

I vote #1 or 2.
Well I’m doing #3 lol.
I’m knackered.
Sanding is totally done. Brushed the entire thing down and added one coat to the main body. Didn’t have much of a choice with colors, I’m using leftovers from my parents house. All the same, I think it might look cute in the end. Or maybe not.
E453EE35-AEEB-4EB9-9AA7-DD955C7CCC7E.jpeg

Egg box and roof will be white.
It’s a lot of blue, I know.

Well I’m doing #3 lol.
I’m knackered.
Sanding is totally done. Brushed the entire thing down and added one coat to the main body. Didn’t have much of a choice with colors, I’m using leftovers from my parents house. All the same, I think it might look cute in the end. Or maybe not.
View attachment 1450931
Egg box and roof will be white.
It’s a lot of blue, I know.

There is no such thing as too much blue! I love it! Blue is my favorite color and that's a great shade!:love

Back
Top Bottom