Hurricane Harvey coop rebuild (Picture heavy)

:love That’s very pretty sounding. It was accidentally cool for sure, kind of looks like a children’s book illustration to me.

Well, haven’t updated this thread because nothing has happened. Not only has it been raining nonstop but there’s also renovations being done on our house, so everything is at a standstill.
I’m counting on FIL and husband to help me finish this week before the chicks get here.
Looks like things are pretty up to snuff to me! Looking great!

Hardware cloth should be ILLEGAL.
Or at least recognized as a form of torture.

A lot happened while I was sick, my in-laws came over and did a lot of the wiring and the coop was moved.
Oh, and I’ve got 8 healthy little chicklets. :love

I will get photos soon, I’m just taking a break to complain about the millions of wire slices and blisters on my hands right now. I truly hate working with this stuff.

Hardware cloth should be ILLEGAL.
Or at least recognized as a form of torture.

A lot happened while I was sick, my in-laws came over and did a lot of the wiring and the coop was moved.
Oh, and I’ve got 8 healthy little chicklets. :love

I will get photos soon, I’m just taking a break to complain about the millions of wire slices and blisters on my hands right now. I truly hate working with this stuff.
Hardware cloth is dangerous.
It should come with a warning label.

This is where we’re at. From far away, it’s basically done. We’re down to the last steps.
Canopy works great, keeps the sun off the coop but it hasn’t rained yet to test it’s waterproof claims.
1343CDF7-14D7-4CE9-B618-0E507F29E09B.jpeg

ACE15351-3DAD-4C05-9B16-5C88218C9617.jpeg

Need to fork that hay out still. Right bale is some standard grass, left bale is very thick cane hay.
Hay wasn’t my first choice but it’s free from the ranch, so..

Need to install some latches on the coop, especially a hook to hold the heavy top lid up when I want it open (the way it’s pushed up to the run doesn’t allow it to completely fold open anymore). Also gotta cut more hardware cloth for that inside vent hole that is stuffed with plastic lids.
E8F6A558-8E97-4B6C-89D1-2D368496049A.jpeg

We just butted the coop up to the run, cut a hole in the run’s wire, and screwed the run wire into the coop.
Boy that sounds easy, right?
No. I almost became a murderer and widow all at once trying to get this coop into place (sorry hubby). That simple job took several hours and many swear words.
7E855D60-834F-48A3-B428-9BA4A344AE5A.jpeg

The wall where the old coop sat, one of the old doorways, and a small section of the roof is all the wiring that is left.
A1678ADB-5319-42CC-AFA5-C0826BB3C6FF.jpeg

1C68D4E0-384C-4814-9099-3F89DF13B6E4.jpeg

Note that the top halves of the wall are not being wired, except for two small sections where the birds could roost against the large welded wire (on the two remaining horizontal support beams in the run).
The goal is to be raccoon proof, and snake resistant.

And a reward for anyone still following my ramblings, the babies.
00CCC13A-03AF-4D3D-A4E0-E89638B5079B.jpeg

This is where we’re at. From far away, it’s basically done. We’re down to the last steps.
Canopy works great, keeps the sun off the coop but it hasn’t rained yet to test it’s waterproof claims.
View attachment 1466934
View attachment 1466935
Need to fork that hay out still. Right bale is some standard grass, left bale is very thick cane hay.
Hay wasn’t my first choice but it’s free from the ranch, so..

Need to install some latches on the coop, especially a hook to hold the heavy top lid up when I want it open (the way it’s pushed up to the run doesn’t allow it to completely fold open anymore). Also gotta cut more hardware cloth for that inside vent hole that is stuffed with plastic lids.
View attachment 1466937
We just butted the coop up to the run, cut a hole in the run’s wire, and screwed the run wire into the coop.
Boy that sounds easy, right?
No. I almost became a murderer and widow all at once trying to get this coop into place (sorry hubby). That simple job took several hours and many swear words.
View attachment 1466939

The wall where the old coop sat, one of the old doorways, and a small section of the roof is all the wiring that is left.
View attachment 1466944
View attachment 1466938
Note that the top halves of the wall are not being wired, except for two small sections where the birds could roost against the large welded wire (on the two remaining horizontal support beams in the run).
The goal is to be raccoon proof, and snake resistant.

And a reward for anyone still following my ramblings, the babies.
View attachment 1466936
:love

:woot

Back
Top Bottom