Hurricane prep work!!

OsceolaMomma

Chirping
Apr 22, 2019
FL
Welp I may be asking prematurely but I’m in need of some serious advice. I live in sunny SW FL and as you all or anyone who watches the news may know we may have a hurricane heading are way. We have horses, cattle, and all kinds of bigger critters but this is my first hurricane (I’m a cracker) with turkeys. I have rescued eggs, raised for going on 4 months now, and love 4 Osceola turkeys they are about hip tall 2 hens and 2 jakes I let them out during the day under supervision and close them up in a big chain link pen at night bc of coyotes, bobcats, ... what in the world do I do with them if this hurricane comes? I don’t have a barn or a “hen house” I can put them in. I’m to scared to let them go bc although they are big they are just not quite there to be on their own yet (in my opinion especially if a bad storm is coming). Sigh I’m stressing and it ain’t for me and my girls or even my husband who does power line storm work it’s for my durn animals.

If the storm hits really hard in your area, bring them inside your home for the time. I know that is not a GREAT idea,,, but the only one that comes to mind. (in your circumstances)
If you are in SW Florida, the projected hurricane is not supposed to be that strong there. You will get some fowl weather regardless.
WISHING YOU BEST ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, to be safe,,,:highfive:

If the storm hits really hard in your area, bring them inside your home for the time. I know that is not a GREAT idea,,, but the only one that comes to mind. (in your circumstances)
If you are in SW Florida, the projected hurricane is not supposed to be that strong there. You will get some fowl weather regardless.
WISHING YOU BEST ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, to be safe,,,:highfive:

Thank you for the advice I had already thought about it and what I could put them in and bring them inside. That’s what I had to do with my chickens during Irma, I had them in ckn wired top totes and stacked in my inside laundry room. My bantam rooster was crowing and had it foged up. I have been watching the NOAA app and nah fingers crossed it’s just going to be some strong rain and wind. I might could put them in pairs in dog kennels and in a dark room in our very secure tool room, but I’m just worried about their wings getting stuck in the wire, sorry so long I’m just thinkin’. I think I have PTSD from Irma, it wasn’t supposed to be to bad and we woud up with a tornado cross our house. :barnieIt’ll be ok. I’ll attach some pics of our house after Irma and my chickens. lol that’s a before and after it mangled our 40x100’ 6 month old barn and of course my chickens.
20DC5403-402A-4B7D-9BF9-34A8C83D932F.jpeg 9673E7A8-9C8D-471F-BA9D-7DBA123B703A.jpeg

3D705578-EC6E-4658-ADA1-95DB16CB2131.jpeg

That’s what I had to do with my chickens during Irma,
Irma relocated a score of my birds back in the wilderness behind us. To this day, young chickens show up just casually walking around on our property.
Mother Nature is kinda funny like that. I'm not worried about my chicken house roof flying away again. The humans here get top priority.
Just get ready for-
  1. No gas stations with gas
  2. No water on shelves
  3. NO CELL PHONE SERVICE
  4. Power outage for days or weeks
  5. Fill your bathtubs so you can dump water in the back of the toilet.
  6. how to cook
  7. how to defend against intruders/looters
  8. no refrigerator w/o generator(see no.1)
Get ready. I've lived here 50 years. People think it's just a hurricane, but they can spawn 100's of tornadoes.
You can always get more birds, if that's the worse case scenario.

Most computer models showing it hitting my town direct.

Take care now.

Zinc roofing is reasonably cheap and can be attached as a roof to your existing chain link fencing by punching holes along the edge with an ice pick & wired to the existing fence with plain wire bought at your local feed or hardware store. This would enable them to at least get out of the rain unless it's coming in sideways, and afterward, will provide excellent 'deep' shade for your flock as well. If you can spare the expense, you could even attach some of the zinc roofing to two sides of the chain link fencing to form a triangular area to give them a solid wind break too.

Irma relocated a score of my birds back in the wilderness behind us. To this day, young chickens show up just casually walking around on our property.
Mother Nature is kinda funny like that. I'm not worried about my chicken house roof flying away again. The humans here get top priority.
Just get ready for-
  1. No gas stations with gas
  2. No water on shelves
  3. NO CELL PHONE SERVICE
  4. Power outage for days or weeks
  5. Fill your bathtubs so you can dump water in the back of the toilet.
  6. how to cook
  7. how to defend against intruders/looters
  8. no refrigerator w/o generator(see no.1)
Get ready. I've lived here 50 years. People think it's just a hurricane, but they can spawn 100's of tornadoes.
You can always get more birds, if that's the worse case scenario.

Most computer models showing it hitting my town direct.

Take care now.

I’m a native so I know the storm low down too, that’s why I was asking about turkeys not myself and family.

1. I have 3 gas cans full of fuel, truck full, and diesel on hand just in case.
2. About 5-ish cases of water (def savvy on tubs of water) and we live about 25’ from the Telegraph creek in our back yard.
3.???
4.Power?!? We have a generator and fuel, ALSO my husband is a lineman if he can’t do me a solid?!?...
5. See answer 2
6. I have lots of can goods, propane, gas grill, and smoker.
7. I have dogs and they have guns
8. Not worried about a fridge...

Sorry maybe you meant well but honestly I wasn’t asking about myself or family I’m on the “BackYardChickens” site I was enquiring about my turkeys.

Zinc roofing is reasonably cheap and can be attached as a roof to your existing chain link fencing by punching holes along the edge with an ice pick & wired to the existing fence with plain wire bought at your local feed or hardware store. This would enable them to at least get out of the rain unless it's coming in sideways, and afterward, will provide excellent 'deep' shade for your flock as well. If you can spare the expense, you could even attach some of the zinc roofing to two sides of the chain link fencing to form a triangular area to give them a solid wind break too.

Thank YOU for YOUR helpful information that’s the kind of input I’m looking for :D

I’m a native so I know the storm low down too, that’s why I was asking about turkeys not myself and family.

1. I have 3 gas cans full of fuel, truck full, and diesel on hand just in case.
2. About 5-ish cases of water (def savvy on tubs of water) and we live about 25’ from the Telegraph creek in our back yard.
3.???
4.Power?!? We have a generator and fuel, ALSO my husband is a lineman if he can’t do me a solid?!?...
5. See answer 2
6. I have lots of can goods, propane, gas grill, and smoker.
7. I have dogs and they have guns
8. Not worried about a fridge...

Sorry maybe you meant well but honestly I wasn’t asking about myself or family I’m on the “BackYardChickens” site I was enquiring about my turkeys.
Good luck then.
best regards

Back
Top Bottom