Hurricane Preparation

AuntieTamsBYC

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2017
We live near St Augustine and I am a newbie hen owner. I have 7 hens. We are closely monitoring the storm and deciding what to do should we have to leave. I am very anxious about leaving the hens but there is no way to take them with us. How would I prepare them to be alone through the storm? They have a large fenced area as their yard that is accessible from the coop. I am thinking that I will leave as much food and water as I can in the coop and around the yard. Any other suggestions? Hate to leave them but don't know of any livestock shelters.

Make sure they have a place that's high and dry out of the wind and rain. You may want to add some flat boards higher in the coop if you are expecting flooding so they can get up out of the water and walk around. Leave plenty of food available in an areas that's least likely to spoil and provide PLENTY of clean water. I'd start putting it out in those places now so they will get used to looking for them. Have emergency supplies and meds ready to go for when you return. Make sure your coop is well-anchored, too. Prayers for you and your family and Birds!

We live near St Augustine and I am a newbie hen owner. I have 7 hens. We are closely monitoring the storm and deciding what to do should we have to leave. I am very anxious about leaving the hens but there is no way to take them with us. How would I prepare them to be alone through the storm? They have a large fenced area as their yard that is accessible from the coop. I am thinking that I will leave as much food and water as I can in the coop and around the yard. Any other suggestions? Hate to leave them but don't know of any livestock shelters.
Take them with you via a trailer that has sand on floor, kennels for separation, lighting, fans for cooling, and a place to acquire warmth. Take another unit with supplies-antibiotics, vitamins - lots of electrolytes and probiotics and emergency injury kits--the stress of change can cause illness. They do not handle change well-unless it is slowly. All stuff can go in trailer.

I wouldn't worry about where to put the birds once you get to a safe place .I am sure there will be Fairgrounds opening up for animals .there will be all kinds of places available where you can stick 7-9 chickens. really no kidding .but I wouldn't leave him at the house because when this thing comes through I don'think there is going to be any chicken coop anymore .just take them with you .you can stick them all in a big dog crate. get a trailer .
Karen

Back
Top Bottom