Hurt/attacked/cannabalised chicken help!

You have to keep her separated for a week from the flock. That's how long it usually takes for injuries like that to heal properly. And she has to stay indoors while she's healing. If you keep her with the flock in her condition she'll get an infection. Don't have any other chickens with her. You need a sanitary environment while she heals.

Also trim the feathers around her eyes so she can see properly. She's probably getting ambushed by the flock cause she can't see.
Okay, that sounds like a good plan and it will warm up in a week so transitioning outside will be easier. I’ll keep it clean and keep her company. Poor girl. I feel so bad!

do you have blue spray? Chickens are attracted to peck at red, so if a bird has an injury that bleeds, their flock-mates (and they themselves) are inclined to peck it and make it worse, to the point of cannibalism :sick So a spray that hides the colour is necessary on fresh wounds; the blue spray also contains antibiotic to help fight infection.

do you have blue spray? Chickens are attracted to peck at red, so if a bird has an injury that bleeds, their flock-mates (and they themselves) are inclined to peck it and make it worse, to the point of cannibalism :sick So a spray that hides the colour is necessary on fresh wounds; the blue spray also contains antibiotic to help fight infection.
Yes, I do . I cleaned the wound and then sprayed it on. But I think they would still peck at it with it being this severe at the moment.

Yes, I do . I cleaned the wound and then sprayed it on. But I think they would still peck at it with it being this severe at the moment.
Yes, keeping her separate to give it chance to heal is a good idea. Up to 3 weeks if necessary should be fine, since a broody can disappear for that long without re-integration issues.

Yes, keeping her separate to give it chance to heal is a good idea. Up to 3 weeks if necessary should be fine, since a broody can disappear for that long without re-integration issues.
Is there anything I need to know about keeping her inside? She won’t get a ton of interaction and from what I know chickens are social gals.. I’m literally watching tv with her now, but will she be okay in a pen by herself in a room for 10 hours in a day(not everyday but sometimes I work long shifts) . Or should I work on putting her in a dog kennel where I keep my dogs so she’s not “alone”. Or maybe this is a non issue.I tend to over worry.lol:) she’s doing pretty good this morning I think. But will boredom be something to guard against.

if you've got a mirror you can stand by the pen, that'll work for the short term we're talking about so she thinks she has company. With dogs very much depends on the dogs in question and how they get on with a single chicken, and she with them.
She'll be back with the flock as soon as the wound has healed sufficiently not to attract bad attention from them. She can't tell the time, and I think you'll do fine whatever you opt for :)

Okay. I think I’ll take her to work today to keep an eye on her. Update: upon further inspection. She has a hurt leg. She is hobbling around. So I’m assuming she became somewhat of a sitting duck and that is how/why this happened.

Back
Top Bottom