Hurt chick. Please help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickflick05, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Chickflick05

Chickflick05 Just Hatched

Jul 8, 2016
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Hi there we could really use some help. One of our 8 day old is hurt we think. I went out today with my kids but my husband stayed home to watch the chicks. When i got home i looked at one and the side of her face looks like her down as been pecked off. We have separated her from the rest. Just wondering what we should do. Thanks in advance.[​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

is it wet? if so it may have just been slicked out of place. if that seems to be the case then you can just dry it off and put her back in with the others, just keep an eye in her

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    If it looks like it has been picked get some Vetrocyn for poultry and spray a little on being very careful not to get it in the eyes.

4. Chickflick05

Chickflick05 Just Hatched

Jul 8, 2016
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Should I keep her separated? They all seem so stressed with her out. I don't want her hurt anymore but she keeps trying to jump out of the spare brooder we have for her.

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    As long as the other chick don't peck her she will be better with the other one. Nobody is stressed or worried. Just make sure she is not peck on. If she is remove her again. They do better in a flock.

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Keep her with the others. It appears to be a superficial wound, but since pink skin is showing, the other chicks are likely to be attracted to it, inviting further irritation of the wound. This is what Blu-kote or Blue Lotion is good for. It's an anti-fungal/antiseptic that also camouflages the wound, making it a neutral blue color.

If the wound is open, wet and oozing, though, you will need to add an antibiotic ointment to the Vetericyn and Blu-kote. It would need to be kept moist for new skin to grow in over the open wound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by