Hurt chicken femur

Phbock

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2020
Hi, I have had backyard chickens for about 7 years. Right now I just have 5. Foxes took many last year but I realized I wasn't getting many more eggs with them so easier for me. I'm needing help with a sweet Buckeye whose upper leg isn't well. Floppy loose from body and she just cant bear weight. Have isolated her. She seems quite healthy aside from this. Any suggestions for splinting near her body?

Hi, I have had backyard chickens for about 7 years. Right now I just have 5. Foxes took many last year but I realized I wasn't getting many more eggs with them so easier for me. I'm needing help with a sweet Buckeye whose upper leg isn't well. Floppy loose from body and she just cant bear weight. Have isolated her. She seems quite healthy aside from this. Any suggestions for splinting near her body?
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Is a vet an option?

If you can find an avian vet, or one that see's exotics it might be better, some regular vets don't know much about birds. But not everyone has access to one. The issue with high femur fractures is that they are difficult to splint well. Sometimes the only way to adequately stabilize it is to have pins put in surgically. An xray would be helpful in determining if that's the case or not.

If you can find an avian vet, or one that see's exotics it might be better, some regular vets don't know much about birds. But not everyone has access to one. The issue with high femur fractures is that they are difficult to splint well. Sometimes the only way to adequately stabilize it is to have pins put in surgically. An xray would be helpful in determining if that's the case or not.
I appreciate your response. I can't imagine having to have my chicken have surgery. I don't even think she's laying eggs at least she hasn't been for a couple of weeks maybe because of this. I keep hoping I can tape it up give her some extra support and put her in a sling. I'll try to locate vet.

I do not think she is in any pain. When I feel all around her body she seems just fine and she's eating really well at least that's a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom