Hurt Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by afey1, Jan 23, 2010.

1. afey1

afey1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2010
    We let our chickens in our main yard that is fenced when ever we want to. they do have their own play area. Today I went to collect eggs and found my white rock laying under the shed, she is the one who thinks she is the alpha hen. Not sure what got her. She is breathing and i have cleaned up her wounds as best as I can for now. I have her under a heat lamp and she is now relaxing. I am using a dropper to give her water and she is taking it. She will open her eye and look at me once in a while. This happened sometime before 1:15pm and it's now 4:45 pm.. Would this be a good sign that she is going to fight for her life?

I now have to go. I have work at 6pm and my husband just came home. I need to show him so he will care for her while i'm gone...

alice
    [email protected]

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] hope your chickens doing better.

welcome to byc from ct. [​IMG]

3. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    How is she?

4. afey1

afey1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2010
    [​IMG] Our chickie girl lived for about 8 hours. She was letting us give her water. Rob called me around 7ish at work to tell me she was gone... When I got home Sunday morning I went out to see the girls, you can tell the Alpha hen was gone. Now someone else is going to step up.. Our little girl that died, tried to challenge me once... She was funny, but realized when I'm in the coop... I'm Alpha... lol She was pretty cool! I already decided a few weeks ago that I was ordering more from McMurry, need to add 1 white Rock to the order... At least she is in no pain....

We now have a special Angel.... She just so happen to be a CHICKIE GIRL!!!

This will not happen again! I will be out there with them, when I give them free range of the whole yard.. (all fenced in)..

Thanks to everyone for prayers and checking in on us...

Alice

5. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    I'm so sorry you lost her! [​IMG]

6. pacetruckguy

pacetruckguy The West Coast Chicken Whisperer

Dec 8, 2009
    Petaluma,CA
    Sorry you lost your hen. It's stories like these that keep me afraid to let my hens free range. It really pulls at me in both directions. I would really like them to be able to roam the yard, but we have lots of red tailed hawls, and my Mother-in -law has a Pit Bull that loves to chase. I would have to heard them in if I weren't there to watch them. Once again I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by