Hurt duckling

Hjadams05

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2020
Hey all! We just ordered some ducks off of Metzers hatchery. We got two brown indian runners and a crested pekin. One of the runners took a fall and isn't putting any pressure on one of her legs. What should we do? Is there any medicine we should give her? Or should we put her in water? Thanks!

She's about four days old. We may do that. We may try letting her soak in the tub. Thanks for the advice.
Add some epsom salt to warm water and let her soak in it, but don't let her drink it as it's a laxative.
Got to watch those ducklings, they are quick and I've heard runner ducklings are even quicker than most!

Make sure it is easy for the duckling to access water and food. I would give the duckling scrambled eggs.

Also check the leg to see if you feel any breaks.

I haven't had this problem with a duckling before. @Miss Lydia or @Isaac 0 may have other things to suggest specific to ducklings.

Make sure any water you use is nice and warm, putting a 4 day old duckling in water can make them chill fast so always keep close tabs on the warmth of the water so you get the duckling out before the water loses its warmth.
Rest and warm water therapy. Also, some liquid B complex is so good for their legs and has the niacin they need to keep those muscles strong as they are growing. TSC carries one it will say injectable but we use it orally. You can put it over their feed or in their water but with one having an injury I'd put it where you know she is getting full amount she needs.
Scrambled eggs are so nutritious for ducklings also along with reg feed. Can you post a picture of her and the leg in question? Also instead of putting Epsom salt in her bathwater use and washcloth and soak it in some warm ES water and wrap the leg a few times a day. That way you don't have to worry about her drinking the water. Just leave the wrap on till the washcloth starts cooling down. wrap your little one in a soft small towel while doing this.
Any time you are holding a duckling place your hands around the whole body like a wrap so the little one can't jump or squirm out of your hands and take a fall. They are fast and as you have found out it can happen super fast.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
this is info on niacin deficiency but the reason ai am adding it is because it tells you about the B complex and how much to give your duckling at a specific age.
This is important info anyway because many don't know that if we have feed made for chickens our waterfowl babies aren't getting enough niacin and can have leg issues from it.

Make sure any water you use is nice and warm, putting a 4 day old duckling in water can make them chill fast so always keep close tabs on the warmth of the water so you get the duckling out before the water loses its warmth.
Rest and warm water therapy. Also, some liquid B complex is so good for their legs and has the niacin they need to keep those muscles strong as they are growing. TSC carries one it will say injectable but we use it orally. You can put it over their feed or in their water but with one having an injury I'd put it where you know she is getting full amount she needs.
Scrambled eggs are so nutritious for ducklings also along with reg feed. Can you post a picture of her and the leg in question? Also instead of putting Epsom salt in her bathwater use and washcloth and soak it in some warm ES water and wrap the leg a few times a day. That way you don't have to worry about her drinking the water. Just leave the wrap on till the washcloth starts cooling down. wrap your little one in a soft small towel while doing this.
Any time you are holding a duckling place your hands around the whole body like a wrap so the little one can't jump or squirm out of your hands and take a fall. They are fast and as you have found out it can happen super fast.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
this is info on niacin deficiency but the reason ai am adding it is because it tells you about the B complex and how much to give your duckling at a specific age.
This is important info anyway because many don't know that if we have feed made for chickens our waterfowl babies aren't getting enough niacin and can have leg issues from it.
Thanks for the help! Here's a pic of the leg. We have her in some water right now. Its the left one.

Attachments

• 20210919_093248.jpg
    20210919_093248.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 4
Looks swollen can she bend it out straight? How far did she fall? And onto what? Did you feel along the leg for anything that might feel broken?

Looks swollen can she bend it out straight? How far did she fall? And onto what? Did you feel along the leg for anything that might feel broken?
No she cannot bend it straight. She fell from about waist-high onto hardwood floors. I did but everything seems fine compared to the other. She only seems to hurt around the knee joint. When we lay her on her back, the leg flops to the side.

But it doesn’t feel dislocated? At the hip? Use the Epsom salt compresses on her today and see if they help. Try not to let her run or try to run around Rest is important. If you notice redness, heat and more swelling then I’d try getting her to a vet. Leg injuries can take time to heal so don’t give up on her

Back
Top Bottom