Hurt foot

Ericka2

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 16, 2014

I'm new to raising ducks. Yesterday found a sore on one of their feet..advice on what to do. Thanks

Wrap foot with clean rag soaked in Epsom salt solution (it is a laxative, don't let him or her drink the solution) for as long as you both can stand it. Examine the foot again, see if there is anything in there (splinter, for example).

I would put some antibiotic cream on it and keep the little out of the pool overnight. Does it smell bad? This could be necrotic tissue from an injury. Any recent unusual happenings, like the foot getting stuck somewhere?

What kind of flooring does their shelter have? Do they run through the brambles?

What is your weather like?

@Amiga Thank you for your advice!! We live on family land with a pretty big pond. It very well could be that my duck got its foot stuck on something.. We also have briers growing everywhere so could be a thorn from that in foot. Right now our weather is cold. I live in Brevard NC.. We had ice on the pond the other day..she could have got her foot stuck in that too. I will try the Eason salt tomorrow.. Thank you for responding
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

@Amiga Thank you for your advice!! We live on family land with a pretty big pond. It very well could be that my duck got its foot stuck on something.. We also have briers growing everywhere so could be a thorn from that in foot. Right now our weather is cold. I live in Brevard NC.. We had ice on the pond the other day..she could have got her foot stuck in that too. I will try the Eason salt tomorrow.. Thank you for responding
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

My duck healed up fine.. They are both back at the pond and doing great!!

Back
Top Bottom