Hurt leg, possibly became paralyzed???

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
A few days ago one of my bantams hurt her leg. She was definitely feeling pain from it by the way she refused to put any weight on it and just hopped around. Immediately pulling it back up if she did accidently put weight on it. We took her in for rest and to search for injuries. There was blood but no obvious open injury that we could find. No breaks, no dislocations, no cuts, but q clearly obvious limp.

Now today I placed her on the floor to check her progress. It doesn't seem like her leg hurts her as bad, for she is standing on it now, however, she is also standing on it with her toes curled under the foot until she works to uncurl them. We did a pinch test and reacts immediately with her uninjured foot but had to pinch quite a bit harder to get any sort of reaction from the injured one. While she did walk a tiny bit, it didn't seem as if she could feel that she was stepping on her own toes because she kept doing it and tripping over them a bit.

Is it possible to help her, for her to get better? Could this possibly get worse? Not marecks I believe, because I know this stemmed from an injury.

Sorry, I'm unable to provide a video due to not having access to YouTube.

A few days ago one of my bantams hurt her leg. She was definitely feeling pain from it by the way she refused to put any weight on it and just hopped around. Immediately pulling it back up if she did accidently put weight on it. We took her in for rest and to search for injuries. There was blood but no obvious open injury that we could find. No breaks, no dislocations, no cuts, but q clearly obvious limp.

Now today I placed her on the floor to check her progress. It doesn't seem like her leg hurts her as bad, for she is standing on it now, however, she is also standing on it with her toes curled under the foot until she works to uncurl them. We did a pinch test and reacts immediately with her uninjured foot but had to pinch quite a bit harder to get any sort of reaction from the injured one. While she did walk a tiny bit, it didn't seem as if she could feel that she was stepping on her own toes because she kept doing it and tripping over them a bit.

Is it possible to help her, for her to get better? Could this possibly get worse? Not marecks I believe, because I know this stemmed from an injury.

You may want to limit her movements. If her leg is paralyzed, i dont suppose a warm bath would help, but it could help her loosen tight muscles.

Do you know what the injury was? Where was the blood? Curled toes indicated sciatic nerve pain/damage. I'd give her some aspirin for a couple days to help with any inflammation and pain. I use half a baby aspirin (40mg) twice a day for standard birds so maybe a quarter for a bantam if you can cut it that small?

Do you know what the injury was? Where was the blood? Curled toes indicated sciatic nerve pain/damage. I'd give her some aspirin for a couple days to help with any inflammation and pain. I use half a baby aspirin (40mg) twice a day for standard birds so maybe a quarter for a bantam if you can cut it
No we do not know the cause of the blood. There was no physical injury, nor anything visible. Didn't feel any indication of swelling either. Nor were any of our other chickens injured and bleeding. Though there is one that gets bullied often, and even she was not bleeding. The blood was by her ankle, but there was no physical injury on the ane, nor anywhere on her leg and underside.

Next time you take her out of her crate, can you get a video of her movements?

Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Is she cramped in her crate? I usually let mine move about as they please when injured, they are very good at limiting activity on their own. Pain and discomfort sort of do that and reminds them to be cautious with their movements - this is seen by your comments that after a few days, she's a little better.
Chickens are just like us, it takes time to heal from sprains and injuries.

You can give 1/4 tablet B-Complex as supplemental support.

Next time you take her out of her crate, can you get a video of her movements?

Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Is she cramped in her crate? I usually let mine move about as they please when injured, they are very good at limiting activity on their own. Pain and discomfort sort of do that and reminds them to be cautious with their movements - this is seen by your comments that after a few days, she's a little better.
Chickens are just like us, it takes time to heal from sprains and injuries.

You can give 1/4 tablet B-Complex as supplemental support.
No youtube access. Tried to earlier but I need an account to post vids on youtube...

Earlier in the yr we had a full sized bird with a leg injury who seemed to get better in large holding cage, but went back downhill. Didn't want that to happen again so we went back to what we usually do. She can move about in it if she wants, but just doesn't. Will be moving her into a larger one tomorrow though, I just couldn't find it until it got to dark to see and she was already sleeping.

No youtube access. Tried to earlier but I need an account to post vids on youtube...

Earlier in the yr we had a full sized bird with a leg injury who seemed to get better in large holding cage, but went back downhill. Didn't want that to happen again so we went back to what we usually do. She can move about in it if she wants, but just doesn't. Will be moving her into a larger one tomorrow though, I just couldn't find it until it got to dark to see and she was already sleeping.
Glad you found the larger cage, giving her more room may be helpful.

Let us know how she's getting along.

Back
Top Bottom