hurt leg!

daisyybrownn

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2018
Hightstown NJ
Does Anyone have any guesses to what this could be?? Her foot is fine and it seems to have full range of motin she just won’t put weight on it. She’s going outside with everyone and getting in and out of the coop Fine and eating and drinking. She’s high stepping and hopping.

Attachments

• 9847E722-335E-465C-9050-D3A5F0499CE4.png
    9847E722-335E-465C-9050-D3A5F0499CE4.png
    2 MB · Views: 48
  • 6B6FD01A-D987-405A-8499-D22E5397BB79.png
    6B6FD01A-D987-405A-8499-D22E5397BB79.png
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • A0BA8210-C78A-4C18-9754-32B44BB61B65.png
    A0BA8210-C78A-4C18-9754-32B44BB61B65.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • B0F35AED-1EB1-4A3F-981C-083047726D34.png
    B0F35AED-1EB1-4A3F-981C-083047726D34.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
Have you examined her feet? Top and bottom? It could be something minor like a splinter or thorn in the pad or between the toes or something more serious such as a staph infection on the foot pad. (bumblefoot)

I've also seen scaly leg mites cause such pain and favoring the feet. Look at the scales to be sure they aren't lifting away from the legs and feet.

Hello! She’s now gone to not using the leg sorry it took me so long to get back she’s not really using it and is having a hard time getting balanced. I think I’m going to see if I can get a vet to give me somewhat of a break to check her out as I literally lost my job the next day that she went sore. She’s eating and drinking and I’ve been giving her extra vitamins and I have her in a cage with a standing coop heater next to her so she doesn’t get too cold. I have no clue what to do with her no one so far has been able to come up with some sort of “diagnosis” other than bumble foot. I’ve examined the whole foot multiple times and found nothing on it. Now today she has like a red line on the side of her leg. I’ll try to get a picture in the morning of it

Hello! She’s now gone to not using the leg sorry it took me so long to get back she’s not really using it and is having a hard time getting balanced. I think I’m going to see if I can get a vet to give me somewhat of a break to check her out as I literally lost my job the next day that she went sore. She’s eating and drinking and I’ve been giving her extra vitamins and I have her in a cage with a standing coop heater next to her so she doesn’t get too cold. I have no clue what to do with her no one so far has been able to come up with some sort of “diagnosis” other than bumble foot. I’ve examined the whole foot multiple times and found nothing on it. Now today she has like a red line on the side of her leg. I’ll try to get a picture in the morning of it
I'm sorry that she is getting worse and that you lost your job:hugs
If you have examined her and see no signs of injury, swelling and the leg band is not too tight, then sadly a disease like Marek's would be considered.

A red line on the side of the leg - is it on the other leg too? Probably hormones.
Photos would help.
Here's some information on Marek's http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

while mareks did cross my mind, i dont think thats what it is. all of my other chickens are perfectly fine, and i havent introduced anything new to my flock in a long while, and its literally just the one leg, the wings are fine and the other leg is fine, her poop is fine and shes eating and drinking 100% normally, shes not getting "worse" but shes not improving, like i dont want to say worse because it doesnt really seem it shes just not getting better, the past couple of days shes been about the same

NAW I DONT THINK ITS MAREKS. I HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN TO ACTUALLY 3 OF MY BABIES. ONE OF THEM ACTUALLY HAD A CRACK IN THE FEMUR. COULDNT FEEL IT BECAUSE IT WASNT A BULGING CRACK AND IT DIDNT GO ALL THE WAY THROUGH. I SPLINTED HER LEG. AT THE TIME I DIDNT HAVE CHICKEN SUPPLIES OR POPSICLE STICKS SO I LITERALLY TOOK SOME GAUZE TO WRAP AROUND HER LEG. THEN I CUT A PIECE OF CARDBOARD BOX TO WRAP AROUND IT AND KEEP IT STURDY. I HELD IT IN PLACE WITH SOME BANDAIDS. AS COUNTRY AS IT SOUNDS IT WORKED. I PUT HER UP BY HERSELF AND MADE SURE SHE HAD PLENTY OF WARMTH AND FOOD AND WATER. AND SHE HEALED NO PROBLEM. THE OTHER TWO WHERE ROOSTING ON TOP OF MY HORSE TRAILER AND GOT A LEG CAUGHT AND HYPER EXTENDED IT. I DID THE SAME FOR THEM, CHECKING TO BE SURE THEY WERENT BROKE. TURNS OUT ONE ACTUALLY DISLOCATED A JOINT THE OTHER WAS HYPEREXTENDED. MY OLD HUTCH I WAS GOING TO USE FOR MY RABBITS LITERALLY BECAME THE CHICKEN HOSPITAL ROOM. LOL. THEY ALL RECOVERED WELL. IF HER LEG LOOKS COMPLETELY RED, I WOULD CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS EVEN A TINY SCRATCH. SHE COULD HAVEN AN INFECTION. EITHER WAY, WITH PROPER TIME AND HELP SHE WILL BE BACK TO NORMAL. IM SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOU LOSING YOUR JOB. ITS HARD ESPECIALLY THIS TIME OF YEAR. BUT MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS FOR YOU AND YOURS. KEEP US UPDATED

NAW I DONT THINK ITS MAREKS. I HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN TO ACTUALLY 3 OF MY BABIES. ONE OF THEM ACTUALLY HAD A CRACK IN THE FEMUR. COULDNT FEEL IT BECAUSE IT WASNT A BULGING CRACK AND IT DIDNT GO ALL THE WAY THROUGH. I SPLINTED HER LEG. AT THE TIME I DIDNT HAVE CHICKEN SUPPLIES OR POPSICLE STICKS SO I LITERALLY TOOK SOME GAUZE TO WRAP AROUND HER LEG. THEN I CUT A PIECE OF CARDBOARD BOX TO WRAP AROUND IT AND KEEP IT STURDY. I HELD IT IN PLACE WITH SOME BANDAIDS. AS COUNTRY AS IT SOUNDS IT WORKED. I PUT HER UP BY HERSELF AND MADE SURE SHE HAD PLENTY OF WARMTH AND FOOD AND WATER. AND SHE HEALED NO PROBLEM. THE OTHER TWO WHERE ROOSTING ON TOP OF MY HORSE TRAILER AND GOT A LEG CAUGHT AND HYPER EXTENDED IT. I DID THE SAME FOR THEM, CHECKING TO BE SURE THEY WERENT BROKE. TURNS OUT ONE ACTUALLY DISLOCATED A JOINT THE OTHER WAS HYPEREXTENDED. MY OLD HUTCH I WAS GOING TO USE FOR MY RABBITS LITERALLY BECAME THE CHICKEN HOSPITAL ROOM. LOL. THEY ALL RECOVERED WELL. IF HER LEG LOOKS COMPLETELY RED, I WOULD CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS EVEN A TINY SCRATCH. SHE COULD HAVEN AN INFECTION. EITHER WAY, WITH PROPER TIME AND HELP SHE WILL BE BACK TO NORMAL. IM SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOU LOSING YOUR JOB. ITS HARD ESPECIALLY THIS TIME OF YEAR. BUT MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS FOR YOU AND YOURS. KEEP US UPDATED

ive thought about splinting it but i wasnt sure how. i did rub a little dmso on it the other day it helps our horses with tendon and ligament issues so i put a tiny bit on her. ive thought maybe it could have been a dislocation or something but am not sure how to check. ill have to further inspect the red mark

Have you tried giving her aspirin? It's possible she jumped off something and landed wrong or any other number of things - an awkward slip - etc.

Soaking in warm Epsom salt bath might help too.

If she gets better after some aspirin, then it's probably a pulled something or other.
I DO AGREE AS WELL ABOUT THE ASPIRIN. HOWEVER MAKE SURE ITS THE CHILDRESN STRENGTH AND DONT GIVE HER A BUNCH. IM SURE ITS A SIMPLE FIX

Back
Top Bottom